Life is changing for us, and it is not for a positive reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had our reception in the church we got married in. It was $400 I think, but it was a huge church in town with a huge reception area, dressing rooms, etc. We hired a local cafe to cater the food. We decorated the reception room ourselves 3 days prior to wedding day. Everyone who attended cleaned up afterwards. Maybe your pastor will give you a good deal for the reception hall? :)

We had our reception in the church we got married in. It was $400 I think, but it was a huge church in town with a huge reception area, dressing rooms, etc. We hired a local cafe to cater the food. We decorated the reception room ourselves 3 days prior to wedding day. Everyone who attended cleaned up afterwards. Maybe your pastor will give you a good deal for the reception hall? :)
Our church's fee is $800. Yes, it IS ridiculous. Which is why we aren't doing it there!!!! There is a community center in the place my mom lives, I am going to ask her about that.

Please don't think this sounds tacky. We had ours at a VFW post. We lucked out. His grandfather had been a member before he died and everyone still remembered "little Chris" Anywho they had a really nice building and nice grounds too. Their hall had a dance floor and nice tables. The chairs were ugly and awful but I was going to rent some. They "decided" a week before our event that new chairs were needed and got some. They charged us a whopping $200. That included a bar tender and the use of their audio system. Just something to consider.

Please don't think this sounds tacky. We had ours at a VFW post. We lucked out. His grandfather had been a member before he died and everyone still remembered "little Chris" Anywho they had a really nice building and nice grounds too. Their hall had a dance floor and nice tables. The chairs were ugly and awful but I was going to rent some. They "decided" a week before our event that new chairs were needed and got some. They charged us a whopping $200. That included a bar tender and the use of their audio system. Just something to consider.
Heather, I don't think any place we exchange our vows is tacky. I don;t think there are any service members in our families.... The local VFW, hehehehe, this is kinda funny. We were looking for a color guard for our building dedication and I was having a hard time. I went over there, walked right in, no one anywhere to be found. I called out, nothing. I stood there for about 10 minutes before I walked out the back door. There they were, 4 teeth amongst the three of the, 4 pit bulls and a big bungalow full of cigarette smoke. LOL!!! I am not sure that is the place for us! AHAHAHAHAHA!

just an idea to go with the vfw.....does your local high school have jrotc? my daughter is in it here and if the commanders approve it the kids are usually more then willing just for the practice....and IMO they look GOOD doing their thing (ok yeah that sounds like a bragging mom) sorry :) then you you would have your someone old and the new to make a smashing impression ....just an option

Along the lines of the VFW suggestion, maybe your local VFD (Volunteer Fire Department)? I don't think it's common here, but in upstate NY where I am originally from, we had a lot of celebrations at the one in my Grandparent's home town. Graduation parties, wedding receptions, my Grandparent's 50th anniversary ... We were allowed to decorate however we wanted, it was always very nice. Do you know any volunteer firemen?

don't know if they have them in your area, but some of the Rural CA areas have Granges... "The Grange"... like a community building more common in agricultural areas. where are you located? I know there are some in Riverside and San Bernardino counties. are you anywhere near palm springs? there's a natural oasis out there that a friend of mine's family has their thanksgiving at every year. it's very pleasant in november... it's outdoors, and you have to bring your own chairs, but it's quite an interesting and beautiful place. some beautiful parks out there as well, and it can be quite lovely weather in december.

If your own church is too expensive, maybe one of your friends attends a church that charges less. You could ask them to check for you.
hmm.png

So frustrating!!!! The community center where my mom lives doesn't rent out the place over the holidays. REALLY??? Good grief. Can;t find a phone number for the Grange, gonna have to go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom