Light in the Coop at night

Ruth1966

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2023
I have just put my hens in their coop a few days ago. We put a light on in there so they can find their roost. Do we need to leave the light on all night long or should we shut it off after dark?

I have just put my hens in their coop a few days ago. We put a light on in there so they can find their roost. Do we need to leave the light on all night long or should we shut it off after dark?
Shouldn't be on all night long, I don't even do that with day old chicks.

Are there windows in the coop?
There should be, for both light and ventilation.

I do use a battery powered puck light if new birds are not going into the coop at night.
Turn it on an hour before roost time, then shut it off when I lock up just after dark.

Shouldn't be on all night long, I don't even do that with day old chicks.

Are there windows in the coop?
There should be, for both light and ventilation.

I do use a battery powered puck light if new birds are not going into the coop at night.
Turn it on an hour before roost time, then shut it off when I lock up just after dark.
Thanks. There is a window and venilation. Our chickens are 8 weeks old or so and this is their third day in the coop. I just wanted to make sure that I need to have the light off.

Thank you for advice.

I have another question about something else. If it rains will the hens go into their coop on their own?

I give my chickens the option to do what they want. After all, they were taking care of themselves in the rain long before they were domesticated. They know more about being chickens that I ever will. Mine typically like to be out in a rain, the rain brings worms up that they like to eat. Of course if it is a bad storm they have the option to get out if it if they wish.

Back
Top Bottom