1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

light sussex

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by EricH, Sep 16, 2010.

1. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    hi, i just got some straight run light sussex chicks. do they fill out pretty nicely? anyone have any experience using them dual purpose?

2. malignstar

malignstar Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    Winfield, MO
    I bought some 12 week sussex roos from a local person and they have pretty much no breast meat. The legs were alittle meaty but they were pretty scragly. They might've needed to grow a bit more or be on a different feed?

3. EricH

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    Quote:how old were they when you butchered? you didnt butcher at 12 weeks did you?

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

They grow VERY slowly...mine took close to a year to completely reach adult size & fill out completely...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=399458

As far as meat birds, they are far from economical because by the time they're ready to butcher, you've probably got $20 worth of feed into them (each one!) LOL I still cannot believe how much they eat. Their saving grace is their outstanding laying ability and wonderful personalities--otherwise, I'd have hit the road a long time ago!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  5. EricH

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    man, thats pretty disappointing... oh well, we'll see what happens.. they sure are beautiful though

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Of course, hatchery-strain LS might be a little different? I've only had experience with these (non-hatchery) and that's what's happened. I did start out with Sandhill LS and sold those before they got very big just because they were very "rangey" and long-legged.

7. EricH

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    Quote:Of course, hatchery-strain LS might be a little different? I've only had experience with these (non-hatchery) and that's what's happened. I did start out with Sandhill LS and sold those before they got very big just because they were very "rangey" and long-legged.

after reading a lot of information it seems that the utilitarian traits were bred out of them and theyve become more of a novelty show bird... maybe ill try delaware? or white rocks? ...i dont want cornish X forever...

8. Rare Feathers Farm

after reading a lot of information it seems that the utilitarian traits were bred out of them and theyve become more of a novelty show bird... maybe ill try delaware? or white rocks? ...i dont want cornish X forever...

Yes, sadly....most birds today are either super-fast growers (meat birds who have heart attacks and can't walk), super-fast maturation layers (egg bound, egg issues or novelty/show birds that don't lay well but look "pretty!" LOL You know....I'm trying white Dorkings next spring...if I'm lucky to hatch enough...

9. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    get them fat on corn and butcher asap [​IMG]

10. EricH

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    thank you guys for the help. ill let you know what happens in oh....... 6 months or so... haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by