light sussex

I bought some 12 week sussex roos from a local person and they have pretty much no breast meat. The legs were alittle meaty but they were pretty scragly. They might've needed to grow a bit more or be on a different feed?

They grow VERY slowly...mine took close to a year to completely reach adult size & fill out completely...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=399458

As far as meat birds, they are far from economical because by the time they're ready to butcher, you've probably got $20 worth of feed into them (each one!) LOL I still cannot believe how much they eat. Their saving grace is their outstanding laying ability and wonderful personalities--otherwise, I'd have hit the road a long time ago!

Last edited:
Quote:
Of course, hatchery-strain LS might be a little different? I've only had experience with these (non-hatchery) and that's what's happened. I did start out with Sandhill LS and sold those before they got very big just because they were very "rangey" and long-legged.

Quote:
Of course, hatchery-strain LS might be a little different? I've only had experience with these (non-hatchery) and that's what's happened. I did start out with Sandhill LS and sold those before they got very big just because they were very "rangey" and long-legged.

after reading a lot of information it seems that the utilitarian traits were bred out of them and theyve become more of a novelty show bird... maybe ill try delaware? or white rocks? ...i dont want cornish X forever...

Quote:

after reading a lot of information it seems that the utilitarian traits were bred out of them and theyve become more of a novelty show bird... maybe ill try delaware? or white rocks? ...i dont want cornish X forever...

Yes, sadly....most birds today are either super-fast growers (meat birds who have heart attacks and can't walk), super-fast maturation layers (egg bound, egg issues or novelty/show birds that don't lay well but look "pretty!" LOL You know....I'm trying white Dorkings next spring...if I'm lucky to hatch enough...

get them fat on corn and butcher asap
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom