Lighter-than-air pan rolls

I made these this morning, and they are fabulously delicious. However, I found the dough was very limp and wet after adding the flour amounts in the recipe. I went back to check the online recipe against what I'd written down, and the liquid/fat/etc amounts are the same. Anyway, I just dove in and stirred in and then kneaded in flour until I had what seems a good dough ball. Rising went well, baking went well, tasting was terrific! Probably due to the extra added flour, mine were not 'lighter than air' but were wonderful. So, my question, is this a very wet dough? If so, how do you handle it? I added flour, at least two additional cups, maybe three including what I had on the kneading surface. Advice appreciated so I tweak my recipe to make it right. Thanks, ~G

I am eating roll #3 right now
hide.gif
Ohh so good!

Mine aren't as pretty as some of these pictured, but the taste makes up for it!

Quote:
Dang. I found this forum by googling breads and I thought I'd found the best bread ever with the Gump bread.....now you guys have another fabulous recipe for these rolls ...............and of course I'm going to have to make them.

I'm going to gain weight. I already give most of my Gump bread away and now my neighbors and friends are going to be getting fabulous rolls as well!!!
barnie.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
OK. A couple of quetions about the methodology for these rolls.

How long does it take with the bread hook and mixer to get the dough to the correct consistency?

How long, approximately is the first rise?

How long, approximately is the second rise?

I am trying these for the first time. I think my yeast is a little old so not getting great results this time. I have a question about when you mix the butter, salt, water and sugar together. My butter ended up totally melted, did I use too hot of water? Or is that how its suppose to be? I really hope these turn out.

I make these rolls about 3 x a month and these are some things that work for me.
We are at just over 2000 feet elevation.

I get the butter (I use butter flavored Crisco) and sugar going and I heat the water to almost boiling. I dribble it in to the butter/sugar as it beats. What I end up with is a very creamy concoction that is well mixed.

I use about 6 and a half to 7 and a half cups of flour. It depends on the humidity. I like to dough to be slightly soft and I find it make a lighter, more tender roll.

It takes a while to rise. In Autumn and Winter, I put it to rise in the room where the wood stove is and it takes 1 to 1.5 hours for each rise. It will take longer if it is cooler in your kitchen.

Quote:
How much and how does elevation affect your turnout? We are at just shy of 4000ft here and my DH insists that they didn't rise enough, although I let them rise for 2 hours. Is there any way I should alter this recipe?

Back
Top Bottom