Lighting for winter

justlearning

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
Ok going into my first winter. How much daylight do they need so they do not drop production? Also is it better to extend the daylight in the morning or at night or does it matter. How much light do they actually need? Want to do the coop updates before it gets too cold, and we have already lost over an hour of sunlight.

I Have been told 12 hours a day My personal ap it is beter to add light in the evening added in morning starts them crowing early.

They need a total of 14 hours to continue production at the same rate. Since chickens aren't the smartest creatures on the planet, you want the light on an automatic timer to come on in the wee hours of the morning and shut off once the sun is fully up. If you do it in the evening, the light will shut off on them and they aren't likely to be roosted or finished their daily routines, leaving them confused in the dark. Good luck!

Thank you. Since we finally are getting eggs, I don't want them to slow down. Still waiting on a few of the girls to start laying.

Back
Top Bottom