jackoeVogel23

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2017
My 2 pekins are 2 years old. I have had them since they were ducklings. I have always used a nigh light in their duck house, not for egg production reasons, but just so they could see their water and food at night. My girls lay all year round, but the one hasn't been consistent since last winter, but is happy as a clam. I was just wondering if the night light could be doing more harm than good. I love my ducks as children, so I don't care if they produce enough eggs. Do you think keeping the night light could effect the inconsistency of my one duck? They molt so I know the light all year round does not effect that. Not sure if i should keep the light since they have had it forever, or what.

My 2 pekins are 2 years old. I have had them since they were ducklings. I have always used a nigh light in their duck house, not for egg production reasons, but just so they could see their water and food at night. My girls lay all year round, but the one hasn't been consistent since last winter, but is happy as a clam. I was just wondering if the night light could be doing more harm than good. I love my ducks as children, so I don't care if they produce enough eggs. Do you think keeping the night light could effect the inconsistency of my one duck? They molt so I know the light all year round does not effect that. Not sure if i should keep the light since they have had it forever, or what.
I have had a solar powered, low wattage light with my Khakis for the last three years. It is only on until the power runs out a few hours after dark. My girls laid the first two winters. The light broke this fall. This winter, they have all stopped laying. So, I would say yes, your light is affecting them.

I used a night light until recently also - I had a concern about it impacting their molting and egg laying. I got rid of the night light and they are still molting and laying LOL! And they do not cry out b/c they are afraid of the dark like I thought they would :D

I have had a solar powered, low wattage light with my Khakis for the last three years. It is only on until the power runs out a few hours after dark. My girls laid the first two winters. The light broke this fall. This winter, they have all stopped laying. So, I would say yes, your light is affecting them.
I took it away cold turkey - with no issues - not even any complaining! Good luck!!!
I just don't want to upset their reproductive system by taking the light away cold turkey, since the one is a little inconsistent in her egg laying. I just don't want to do any harm by taking it away.

Whatever makes you comfortable! If there's a way for you to gradually reduce the amount of light they get, you could do that. I just wouldn't be taking it out & putting it back in.

Back
Top Bottom