likely going to put a bird to sleep tomorrow edit: looking into broken leg therapies instead

Now that your trying for recovery again, maybe edit your post title. Adding to it with, Edit:, or changing it all together and adding an edit to your intro post. That way it will attract other members who may have ideas for healing her broken leg.
I’ll tag a few as well.
@Wyorp Rock @azygous

How about some pics, let start there. Also, what leads you to believe it’s broken in the knee? Is there heat, swelling, or pain in certain areas of her leg?

Photos of the hen and her legs may be helpful.
my boss hen Betty turned out to have a broken leg. She’s been inside for the past week and I’ve been watching to see if it looks like she might be able to live as a one-legged bird but it does not seem that she has much mobility at all. She’s definitely perked up and is other wise very much alive but the break seems to be at the knee,

Now that your trying for recovery again, maybe edit your post title. Adding to it with, Edit:, or changing it all together and adding an edit to your intro post. That way it will attract other members who may have ideas for healing her broken leg.
I’ll tag a few as well.
@Wyorp Rock @azygous

How about some pics, let start there. Also, what leads you to believe it’s broken in the knee? Is there heat, swelling, or pain in certain areas of her leg?
It’s completely floppy starting at the knee, like it’s not connected to anything. Above that everything feels solid and she can move it easily. Below the knee she has no control of her foot or toes, they just hang there.

It’s completely floppy starting at the knee, like it’s not connected to anything. Above that everything feels solid and she can move it easily. Below the knee she has no control of her foot or toes, they just hang there.
Does she have any feeling below the knee? If you squeeze, or curl her toes does she react? Makes me wonder if blood supply was cut off. If so, the bottom half of her leg may just fall off in time. I’m time, she may learn to be one legged too.

Update on my Betty girl: I did bring her into the vet this morning and she got x rays and the vet will splint the leg so we can see how it heals. He was cautiously optimistic that she could get at least partial use of the leg (more as a crutch than full use). He also said that there is feeling in the leg, which I didn’t think there was before but he showed how she wants to put weight on it but can’t because of the break. I go to pick her up in an hour or so. I am still going to build the wheelchair just as something to have on hand for future, but she definitely was full of spunk at the vet’s office.

Back
Top Bottom