Limping and pumping tail, but I can't feel an egg.

crazycluckincrew

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2017
Hi all,

One of my girls who is about 4 years old started limping last week. I wouldn't have thought much of it but I noticed her tail was down and she was pumping it a bit like she was egg-bound. A few days passed and neither issue is better. I inserted my finger and tried to feel for a stuck egg but didn't feel anything at all. She's eating and drinking like a champ. I can tell her leg is really bothering her. Maybe I should segregate her for awhile to limit activity. Is it possible her tail is down because of her injured leg or vice versa? Should I try an epsom salt bath just in case? We don't know if she is still laying or not and I've never had an egg bound chicken before. HELP!

Hi all,

One of my girls who is about 4 years old started limping last week. I wouldn't have thought much of it but I noticed her tail was down and she was pumping it a bit like she was egg-bound. A few days passed and neither issue is better. I inserted my finger and tried to feel for a stuck egg but didn't feel anything at all. She's eating and drinking like a champ. I can tell her leg is really bothering her. Maybe I should segregate her for awhile to limit activity. Is it possible her tail is down because of her injured leg or vice versa? Should I try an epsom salt bath just in case? We don't know if she is still laying or not and I've never had an egg bound chicken before. HELP!

It is a good sign that she is eating and drinking well. Is she pooping at all and if so, is it watery? I would separate her in a warm, dark, quiet place and keep a close eye on her. It wouldn't hurt to try soaking her in a warm bath just make sure to dry her off well so she doesn't get chilled. If she is truly egg bound, you will need to get her some calcium to help pass the egg and prevent further bound eggs. Here is a good thread on egg bound hens here on BYC:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention.66978/

Good luck and let us know how she is doing!

Back
Top Bottom