Limping Chicken

Abbkayx

Songster
Mar 23, 2018
Hi all,

I have this black sexlink... one our favorite girls - Amelia. She is about 2 years old and quite high up on the pecking order. She started limping yesterday, so we brought her in - gave her a little spa day, bath, towel dry, etc. We looked her over really well - no signs of bumble, no swelling. The leg does feel very warm but it's also been 90 degrees here in Michigan.

She is still eating and drinking perfectly, and still loving snacks. Poops all normal, no off signs.

She appears to be favoring her left side, and it doesn't seem to be the foot or toes, maybe higher up? Any insight or advice?

She may have a sprain in her hip or leg. Make sure that she doesn’t have any bumblefoot scab on the foot pad. An xray of the leg would be helpful to rule out a fracture. I would make sure that she rests the leg and avoids jumping up and down from a roost for a week or two, then go from there. A wire dog crate can be used to keep her with the others, so that she has company. Secure her food and water in the crate and give her shade. If she lays around a lot, she might not need crating, but I would keep her off the roost.

She may have a sprain in her hip or leg. Make sure that she doesn’t have any bumblefoot scab on the foot pad. An xray of the leg would be helpful to rule out a fracture. I would make sure that she rests the leg and avoids jumping up and down from a roost for a week or two, then go from there. A wire dog crate can be used to keep her with the others, so that she has company. Secure her food and water in the crate and give her shade. If she lays around a lot, she might not need crating, but I would keep her off the roost.
Perfect. Thank you! I have her in my bathroom inside resting at night, and some of the day, so she's not using the roost. I let her out with her friends in the afternoon for a bit so she isn't getting "rejected". I did give her a baby aspirin today and it didn't seem to help too much. When I picked her up to bring her inside tonight it felt like something was popping up near her wing, so maybe something just out of place.

I don't have an Avian vet super close and my normal vet doesn't see chickens at all, not even to xray - so fingers crossed it isn't a fracture.

I appreciate the help! 😀

Attachments

• 5DF4E94A-D246-4223-B9BA-060D45F247DC.jpeg
    5DF4E94A-D246-4223-B9BA-060D45F247DC.jpeg
    568 KB · Views: 12
Poor girl! I have the same issue with one of my girls. I’m keeping them in the run so she doesn’t have to walk or run too much. I’m going to inspect her later with help, maybe I need to crate her at night so she doesn’t roost. Ugh!

Poor girl! I have the same issue with one of my girls. I’m keeping them in the run so she doesn’t have to walk or run too much. I’m going to inspect her later with help, maybe I need to crate her at night so she doesn’t roost. Ugh!

Awe, I'm so sorry! It's the worst feeling when our birds are hurting. 😭 I hope your girl heals up quickly!

Alright so I grabbed her up, and checked her feet again. Is this the start of bumble foot? 😭

Attachments

• 9F292828-27BC-4A85-9E13-E8AB623B53C1.jpeg
    9F292828-27BC-4A85-9E13-E8AB623B53C1.jpeg
    417.6 KB · Views: 9
  • F08089F7-54A5-4596-B41F-7CC8F13A0690.jpeg
    F08089F7-54A5-4596-B41F-7CC8F13A0690.jpeg
    375.4 KB · Views: 7
It does look a bit irritated and maybe a little swollen which may progress to bumblefoot. But it doesn’t look bad enough to cause her not to use the leg. I probably would just keep an eye on that, but not do any treating until her leg issue is better. You could clean it with Betadine, or use a drawing salve like Prid. Or just leave it alone for now. She might enjoy remaining with her flock in the crate during the daytime, if they free range in a small area.

It does look a bit irritated and maybe a little swollen which may progress to bumblefoot. But it doesn’t look bad enough to cause her not to use the leg. I probably would just keep an eye on that, but not do any treating until her leg issue is better. You could clean it with Betadine, or use a drawing salve like Prid. Or just leave it alone for now. She might enjoy remaining with her flock in the crate during the daytime, if they free range in a small area.

Thank you!
I have her crated at night and she does free range during the day. She's still very active and eating / drinking normally. Should I keep her crated all the time?

I actually posted a follow up to this regarding my rooster and her. He's a sebright so small, and she's a black sex link - so maybe he hurt her somehow but he's much smaller? Lol.
I just feel bad and want her to feel better. She's one of our favorites. 😩

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-scared-of-rooster-injured-bird.1411124/#post-23165225

Hi all,

I have this black sexlink... one our favorite girls - Amelia. She is about 2 years old and quite high up on the pecking order. She started limping yesterday, so we brought her in - gave her a little spa day, bath, towel dry, etc. We looked her over really well - no signs of bumble, no swelling. The leg does feel very warm but it's also been 90 degrees here in Michigan.

She is still eating and drinking perfectly, and still loving snacks. Poops all normal, no off signs.

She appears to be favoring her left side, and it doesn't seem to be the foot or toes, maybe higher up? Any insight or advice?

Hi
May I ask how did your chicken’s leg turned out?
My duck is limping and the bottom of her foot looks exactly like your chicken a little swollen. We also did an Xray, nothing showed up.

Last edited:
Hi
May I ask how did your chicken’s keg turned out?
My duck is limping and the bottom of her foot looks exactly like your chicken a little swollen. We also did an Xray, nothing showed up.
She's doing okay! I keep her in a crate at night with a very small roost bar so she can't jump around etc. Shes walking much better, so not bumblefoot, thankfully. I think the little bit of rest is doing her good.

I hope your duck feels better!!

Back
Top Bottom