Limping duck. Possible bumblefoot?

Just got a look at the other foot. There are multiple black little dots :(
Keep up the daily soaks. I am currently doing this for all three ducks I have. My vet gave me manuka honey to put on the BF. It's has worked great!!! After each soak I dry the foot off, and put a dot of the honey on a dry cotton face cleaning pad. Then wrap the foot in vet wrap for the night. In the morning I take it off an let them free range. Repeat every night. It's time consuming but it will get better. My one hen will not let me wrap her feet at all so I just soak her feet then take a q-tip with honey and apply it, seems to be working but just at a slower pace.

The manuka honey is expensive 60 bucks for 8 oz but it is sure cheaper then your possible vet bill. Your BF doesn't look all that bad. I will post pictures of my ones foot in a second

7F055ED0-D935-498D-8EE9-1F3383779421.jpeg

So the pictures are kinda in backwards order but as you can see the size and swelling has gone down since 8-30.

View attachment 1537064
So the pictures are kinda in backwards order but as you can see the size and swelling has gone down since 8-30.

Glad the honey is working for you! Is that something you can just buy in a store?

I've been soaking my ducks foot every night then spraying it with Vetircyn, Neosporin and Greengoo. I'm not sure if I should try to pick the scab off myself or just keep doing that? I can barely get the stuff on her foot so I'm not sure that I can actually get it wrapped up. I do it at night so once I'm done she gets locked right up in the house where it is fairly clean and dry. I ordered duck shoes but it seems like it will take weeks before they get here.

Glad the honey is working for you! Is that something you can just buy in a store?

I've been soaking my ducks foot every night then spraying it with Vetircyn, Neosporin and Greengoo. I'm not sure if I should try to pick the scab off myself or just keep doing that? I can barely get the stuff on her foot so I'm not sure that I can actually get it wrapped up. I do it at night so once I'm done she gets locked right up in the house where it is fairly clean and dry. I ordered duck shoes but it seems like it will take weeks before they get here.
Hi! I got the honey online through amazon prime in two days @. 60.00 for 8.4 oz. tomorrow when I am at work I will post the link for you.

I honestly can't believe I went all summer doing soaks and applying other products (DMSO and clear iodine) for 3 moths with little to no progress. NOTE: per the vet, the dmso and clear iodine can NOT be used together!!! It must be used on alternating days. I did very little scab picking because when I did pick, it would bleed. Tonight I did my regular routine and seen that the scab is starting to lift. I picked a nice chunk off his foot.....with no bleeding! Tomorrow I go to to the vet for a follow up appointment. I will start a thread on this honey because I don't want to over take the OP thread.

Is it hot where you are? I ordered duck shoes, but it made my duck so so hot so I just wrapped it instead.

I thought things were getting better but when I picked her up tonight her one leg is very hot compared to normal and compared to the other foot. Do I need antibiotics or should I try soaking the foot again? I think that foot still had a scab on it.

I also have 4 ducks with the beginning stages of bumblefoot! Can I get away with soaking them at night and spraying their feet? I'm a one woman operation so it's hard to find a helper to hold while I wrap their feet and I haven't had much success with it anyway! The "scabs" aren't black, they definitely look yellow/ tan in color and all 4 have them in spots on their feet.. did I catch it early enough that I won't have to worry about surgical intervention?

Back
Top Bottom