Kiniption

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2021
Hey everyone. This is my first real post and I’m a new duck momma, so please excuse my ignorance 🙂. Our duck pen is currently awaiting some renovations to add more chicken wire and predator proofing so that they can be safe at night, so our 2 ducks temporarily go in their pen during the day, and at night they sleep in a large tote with wood shavings in our house.
Yesterday when we took our male out of the tote, he was limping quite a bit when he walked. I didn’t see anything off with his leg or foot, so I put him in his swimming tote outside for a little water therapy, to see if that would help. I am not sure if there’s some thing going on with his foot, or if he might’ve twisted his leg or something in the tote at night. I can’t imagine too much happened because there’s not a lot of room for them to move around and they usually just lay in the tote and sleep.
Today he seems to be walking around a little better on it but he is still limping. One thing I did noticed though, is the foot and leg both feel pretty hot, and even up into his body a bit. In contrast the other foot is very cold. Is it possible he has some sort of infection, or can a sprain cause it to get hot like that? Should I let him stay in the pen with the female or should I bring him in the house with us? Any advice would be appreciated! ☺️

31B3202D-FE55-4EF4-84EE-26F4C78D6E1D.jpeg

Hey everyone. This is my first real post and I’m a new duck momma, so please excuse my ignorance 🙂. Our duck pen is currently awaiting some renovations to add more chicken wire and predator proofing so that they can be safe at night, so our 2 ducks temporarily go in their pen during the day, and at night they sleep in a large tote with wood shavings in our house.
Yesterday when we took our male out of the tote, he was limping quite a bit when he walked. I didn’t see anything off with his leg or foot, so I put him in his swimming tote outside for a little water therapy, to see if that would help. I am not sure if there’s some thing going on with his foot, or if he might’ve twisted his leg or something in the tote at night. I can’t imagine too much happened because there’s not a lot of room for them to move around and they usually just lay in the tote and sleep.
Today he seems to be walking around a little better on it but he is still limping. One thing I did noticed though, is the foot and leg both feel pretty hot, and even up into his body a bit. In contrast the other foot is very cold. Is it possible he has some sort of infection, or can a sprain cause it to get hot like that? Should I let him stay in the pen with the female or should I bring him in the house with us? Any advice would be appreciated! ☺️

View attachment 2884654
If he doesn’t have bumblefoot maybe it’s something like a sprain? If he’s not limping too bad and there’s not much in the pen to trip on or something, I would maybe let him stay outside so he’s not stressed out? Turmeric can help with inflammation and I’ve seen where people will give it to their ducks with arthritis. Maybe putting some in his food would help him feel a bit better. Vitamin B and electrolytes couldn’t hurt

You can also give them an epsom salt compress to help with the inflammation. I usually put mine in a small pen outdoors with the flock. It reduces their movement so they rest some, and helps prevents them from injuring it further. And in a couple days they are back with the flock fully.
How do you do the Epsom salt compress? Do I need duck shoes for him as well?

Mix 1 cup of epsom salt in 1 quart of warm water. Then put a towel in the water, so it is soaked. Theb wrap the towel around the injury and hold it there for 15-30 minutes.

The duck shoes I only use for treatment of bumblefoot. Any breed can get bumblefoot, but the smaller breeds are far less prone to it. Unless you want to have duck shoes, I don't think it would be necessary to have them.

Back
Top Bottom