Limping hen. Need advice.

Pics

Sooner Magnolia

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 13, 2014
Central Oklahoma
I have a hen- just turned 2 years old last month. She just started limping this afternoon and favoring her left leg. She is moving and eating. I'm thinking maybe a sprain. Haven't tried to pick her up because I don't want to stress her out. There are only 4 girls in this group. Little to no pecking.

Trying to decide if I should put her in a kennel or just find an easier step system for her to get to the roost and back down. Maybe put her in the kennel to sleep and let her out with the girls tomorrow. They like to sleep outside in the run. Probably 4.5 feet up. I don't see any possible bumblefoot walking behind her, but thought I would wait to examine her and palpate her leg until closer to bedtime. She moved much faster after this video, and then hopped into the run to eat. Advice? https://photos.app.goo.gl/N4HbXKHC2Dp2nAzFA

Since it is nearing roost oclock I would grab her tonight and inspect for Brumblefoot. Is she a large breed and how high are your roosts will be a common feature. Naturally, you better come bearing treats for the indignity.
Thanks @AllenK RGV . I just peeked outside, and she is on their chosen roost at this point, but some of the girls are still not in the run. I'm going to wait until it is darker. I don't want her jumping off to come for treats before I get over there. Any advice about what to feel for or manipulations to check her tendons, etc?

FYI, it is hot here. Everybody is panting a little.

Okay missed the video
I was given a recipe awhile back I have a dvm after my name this is not my finest hour but it works
Medical Salve
1 tablespoon of aloe
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
2 tablespoons of turmeric

Back
Top Bottom