Liquid medicine (Important question please help)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lynnsfarm, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Lynnsfarm

Lynnsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2014
    This is a dumb question- but after reading all over internet.. I keep reading to put liquid meds down throat behind the windpipe. I have been putting water and med's in same place that I put tube when I tube feed her, is this correct? Into her crop or not? Thanks I am getting so confused!
    Lynn

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I would try and put it down out and past her crop so it goes through her body quicker and does what it's to do

3. Lynnsfarm

Lynnsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2014
    How the heck do I go past crop? tube poking around in there a bit dangerous? so it is the right place to put water and meds? Anybody?

4. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I don't know I just assumed it would have an opening or something to drain to the stomach so I geuss it would be the crop

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, Lynnsfarm, you put the meds in the same place as tube feeding, into the crop, not past the crop. You can give them with the tube safely.

6. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Ha that's funny how u said that not past the crop I didn't know I never did it before but it's still funny

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Past the crop would be almost impossible in most birds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How To Crop Feed Your Bird Diagram
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Might be possible in ducks because their crops are more like the one on the left:

[​IMG]

Peafowl and chickens are either the second or third from the left, ducks are the one on the left, pigeons are fourth to the right and I have no idea what type of bird has one like the right most.

Ducks
    [​IMG]
    1. Oesophagus
    2. Crop
    3. Proventriculus
    4. Gizzard
    5. Pancreas
    6. Duodenum
    7. Liver
    8. Gallbladder
    9. Ileum
    10. Caecum