SBmember

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2016
I noticed some of our 3 week old chicks today are (lethargic, eyes slightly closed at all times, still eating, drinking, but no bloddystools) here is a link to my other post since I am unsure they are related
( www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coccidiosis-advice.1189523/)
There is one that is orally discharging lots of mucous like fluid from her mouth after drinking the corid water but it DOES NOT smell at all. I have her seperated with no food or water. The crop feels like a water balloon, at first very water like runny green poo, but now has turned into cecal poop (brown, runny). Is this sour crop? They only eat chick feed and I have chick grit offered if they choose to eat it. I am new and very unsure what to do about this. I gave everyone corid water today, could this be a part of that or is this a seperate problem? She is the only one with oral discharge.

Last edited:
She needs water...she is too young to be with holding anything from her.
Yes, I gave her food and water. She is still seperated though. Perched on my should for a bit, waiting for her to "go" again. We have been cleaning the brooder roughly every 3 days. I know I am asking for a lot of advice and thank you so much for providing

Last edited:
This might sound completely and utterly stupid on my end but now I worry it was the nipple waterers (?), maybe they were not getting enough water being 3 weeks old. Possibly why the slightly greenish brown poops? They seem to be getting a bit darker and more normal with time. It has only been 4 hours and since going back to a different waterer everyone seems fine. Possibly she drank too much water to compensate when i switched them?

No question is stupid. Keep asking them.
That is how you will become a crazy chicken lady faster! ;)

Thank you SO much for everything today! I want the best for my littles and I am so glad there are such kind people to help out!
I want the best for them too!
I hope you got everything under control for now.
Do not ever hesitate to post a question.
:hugs

I highly doubt you are dealing with sour crop at this young age.
What exactly do you feed your chicks on a daily basis?

I highly doubt you are dealing with sour crop at this young age.
What exactly do you feed your chicks on a daily basis?
Chick feed non medicated, electrolyte and vitamin water and i have chick grit available if they choose.

You need to stop the vitamin water while treating for cocci. You can continue it again after you treat for Cocci and then only use it for 1 week.

You need to stop the vitamin water while treating for cocci. You can continue it again after you treat for Cocci and then only use it for 1 week.
Okay, yep, took all that water out. They seem to be up and moving around more and their eyes are more open.

Back
Top Bottom