1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Little Duck punched out side of shell.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by oesdog, Jun 19, 2017.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    This little Duck had a pip in the shell at about 5 am this morning when we came back at about 2.30 pm it has broken a hole in the side and bits of egg were scattered but the membrane was still over much of the duck and it was dry. We moistened it and now it has a foot out and was making loads of noise but it cannot zip now as it just punched its way out the side? Is this normal??? I never had a duck before. There is another egg in the bator but nothing as yet they are not due until tomorrow. They are Ailsbury ducks and spent first 21 days under a hen. 6/10 live chicks from the hen - The mother duck was killed by a fox a few days back. so we wont get any more eggs there are two more I can put in after these come out - I am worried about this one and not sure what to do with him once he is hatched if he lives????

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You need a brooder ready with a heat lamp...Duckling starter wet and soupy and water...
    It should zip out on its own....They rest lots as they hatch..

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Answered your PM...

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    So the one with the hole in the side is still stuck in the shell, right? With its foot out it won't be able to get out on its own. You will need to carefully help it out.

Although it sounds like Ravyn has helped you over PM so you're probably good to go :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  6. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

It popped out like a juggernaut, lol... had a ball of hatching goo that fell off and worried the OP... think the duckling is fine though... :) :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by