You will have to keep a close eye on the bator if you change the temp.
Check it often. Hourly.

I’m a 20 minute drive from the incubator which is why I am Leary of upping the temperature, I just candled and everything looked good. I just popped one plug in briefly to help it get back to temperature after candling. It was a little challenging with the Marans eggs, but the lighter ones were all clearly alive and well. I guess what I’m really trying to find out is... is it better to be a little low or run the risk of upping the pre-set on the incubator above 99.5 hoping there aren’t any spikes?

I’m a 20 minute drive from the incubator which is why I am Leary of upping the temperature, I just candled and everything looked good. I just popped one plug in briefly to help it get back to temperature after candling. It was a little challenging with the Marans eggs, but the lighter ones were all clearly alive and well. I guess what I’m really trying to find out is... is it better to be a little low or run the risk of upping the pre-set on the incubator above 99.5 hoping there aren’t any spikes?
Can you move the incubator to your house?

Can you move the incubator to your house?

I’m off grid, in an RV, building our house and don’t have quite enough Solar right now to support the incubator and my basic electricity needs (light and tv/dvd) at the same time. :hmm I end up having to get up a couple times a night to switch battery banks to keep it running. I check it twice a day and have a minion (7year old who lives at the other end of the property) that checks it two or three times as well. I will camp out in the garage building it is in when I get to the end of the hatch.

I’m off grid, in an RV, building our house and don’t have quite enough Solar right now to support the incubator and my basic electricity needs (light and tv/dvd) at the same time. :hmm I end up having to get up a couple times a night to switch battery banks to keep it running. I check it twice a day and have a minion (7year old who lives at the other end of the property) that checks it two or three times as well. I will camp out in the garage building it is in when I get to the end of the hatch.
Good luck I hope things work out well.
:fl

Do not think that the human thermometer has to be more accurate. It's not true. Human thermometers tend to be inaccurate too. You have 3 thermometers agreeing on the temp. I'd test one of the plastic backed ones for accuracy. If it proves to be accurate, then go with that. If it's off, they all are by the same amount, so adjust your temp accordingly.

I did test the human one against an accurate digital meat thermometer... but I will test the plastic ones as well, maybe buy some ice today while we are out... I have a temp gun, from foodservice job but it’s well and truly buried in my storage locker in another city

To answer your original question, can the eggs be incubated at 97°F...yes, it will take a little longer for them to hatch, maybe a day or a day and a half longer.

Thank you, and a little lower is preferable to higher? Like 102-103 degrees, correct? With a circulating air incubator... and I know with my base humidity being so high, I don’t want to add any water at this point, depending on humidity in two weeks when they are due, I might not even try to add any for hatching... air cells were a little small when I candled, but I can’t change the weather sadly.

Back
Top Bottom