Was it a pullet? I have two at 5 weeks old and neither have a yellow comb but each have obvious feather differences. I suspect the one with a tail is a pullet and yours has early tail feathers.
My Eggy Sue(Roo) in question is 8 wks in the photo... I am still thinking cockerel.

Attachments

• 8E35CACB-5407-45D2-98D0-836AE33EE6D8.jpeg
    8E35CACB-5407-45D2-98D0-836AE33EE6D8.jpeg
    853.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 2129CB69-268D-4537-BA33-4DBB3BBF9567.jpeg
    2129CB69-268D-4537-BA33-4DBB3BBF9567.jpeg
    843.4 KB · Views: 31
Was it a pullet? I have two at 5 weeks old and neither have a yellow comb but each have obvious feather differences. I suspect the one with a tail is a pullet and yours has early tail feathers.
I still don’t know for sure, but I’ll update as soon as I do!

Ok, thank you! I would love to keep him/her. I just don’t feel confident enough to know how to handle a rooster if it turns out to be too feisty. I’m also really unsure about how to deal with hens who go broody. Do they only do that when an egg is fertilized or can it happen any time? I do have somewhere for him to go but didn’t want to do that if it would be hard on him! I appreciate your help!
you'll learn. Our rooster can be a real jerk. He became aggressive toward humans at about 11 months. After a few episodes of me grabbing him by the tail feathers and picking him up, then calmly petting him and holding him for about ten minutes, he eventually learned he cannot win. He's become a much better behaved boy. People who kick their roosters or force them to the ground only make them more aggressive in my opinion. When bringing treats like raisins, offer them to him first and let him distribute them to the hens. It's often our behavior that triggers theirs.

you'll learn. Our rooster can be a real jerk. He became aggressive toward humans at about 11 months. After a few episodes of me grabbing him by the tail feathers and picking him up, then calmly petting him and holding him for about ten minutes, he eventually learned he cannot win. He's become a much better behaved boy. People who kick their roosters or force them to the ground only make them more aggressive in my opinion. When bringing treats like raisins, offer them to him first and let him distribute them to the hens. It's often our behavior that triggers theirs.
they can't really hurt you until they get their spurs and you can use the hot potato method to pull them off without any blood or pain to the roo. There are YT vids to show you how to do it.

My blue orp roo is more likely to eat everything himself than give to the hens. He doesn't break up fights, and only seems to tidbit when is own gut is full. 😠

61815F8E-7513-406E-92D6-68703B4A51A3.jpeg

Well… she’s a she! It took a LONG while, but she finally laid. The others all started at 18/19 weeks but she went well into the late 20s before we got an egg. And we’ve only gotten about 4 total from her, but that’s better than none, I guess!

Back
Top Bottom