zerowland10

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2021
Hi everyone! I’m new here, but this website has helped us SO MUCH with raising our first baby chicks. We have six girls (I think)! A lavender orpington, a silver laced wyandotte, a buff, a cinnamon queen and two Easter eggers. I’m curious about my little lavender, Lottie. She’s had this comb since around 2 weeks old. She is the smallest of the group, by far, but she has giant feet and is the only one with any kind of a comb so far. Shes sweet, quiet, gets pushed around a bit. So I’m wondering if I possibly have a cockerel on my hands? I don’t mind if she(he) stays sweet and calm. But if not, I’m clueless about what we would do next? Can a rooster join another flock later on without any issues? I would love all the guidance I can get! Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• C713A2DA-9BE2-4DC9-98D2-8385FC64529C.jpeg
    C713A2DA-9BE2-4DC9-98D2-8385FC64529C.jpeg
    516.9 KB · Views: 172
  • E0F635C3-0ED8-4AA6-9185-D558129A6BDE.jpeg
    E0F635C3-0ED8-4AA6-9185-D558129A6BDE.jpeg
    526.4 KB · Views: 126
  • E9277813-F37E-4124-8FC3-71D15E7B3E04.jpeg
    E9277813-F37E-4124-8FC3-71D15E7B3E04.jpeg
    536.1 KB · Views: 121
00E49E11-E037-4D90-A227-AC4CA5737B57.gif
Definitely a boy (if it was a Dutch or Tournaisis). Cant you keep him yourself?
Maybe you could call him Lotus, Lot or Lottum instead of Lottie?

A cockerel can easily change places after he grew up to be a rooster as long as there are no other roosters or there are too many girls for just one rooster. If you train him to be polite to humans, and wait until his hormones start to calm down, you can always find someone who will be pleased with him.

Definitely a boy (if it was a Dutch or Tournaisis). Cant you keep him yourself?
Maybe you could call him Lotus, Lot or Lottum instead of Lottie?

A cockerel can easily change places after he grew up to be a rooster as long as there are no other roosters or there are too many girls for just one rooster. If you train him to be polite to humans, and wait until his hormones start to calm down, you can always find someone who will be pleased with him.
Ok, thank you! I would love to keep him/her. I just don’t feel confident enough to know how to handle a rooster if it turns out to be too feisty. I’m also really unsure about how to deal with hens who go broody. Do they only do that when an egg is fertilized or can it happen any time? I do have somewhere for him to go but didn’t want to do that if it would be hard on him! I appreciate your help!

Ok, thank you! I would love to keep him/her. I just don’t feel confident enough to know how to handle a rooster if it turns out to be too feisty. I’m also really unsure about how to deal with hens who go broody. Do they only do that when an egg is fertilized or can it happen any time? I do have somewhere for him to go but didn’t want to do that if it would be hard on him! I appreciate your help!
Chickens will lay on fertile or unfertile eggs. They don’t all go broody though. I’ve seen a broody hen sit on a golf ball.

Chickens will lay on fertile or unfertile eggs. They don’t all go broody though. I’ve seen a broody hen sit on a golf ball.
And I have them go broody on absolutely nothing but air.

Do not worry about your hens going broody. It is easy to manage and we can help you if that need ever arises!

If you keep handling cockerels and kerp showing you are the boss, chances are great you will get a friendly rooster. You can keep him for offspring.

Hens of the broody type go broody on pingpong balls, fake eggs, unfertilised eggs as wel as fertile eggs. Some hens even go broody on a bit of hay or shavings or in a nice spot without anything to sit on.

I have a broody sitting on 3 fake eggs and 2 pingpong balls. Hope to buy fertilised eggs later today and change them overnight (after a days rest). I have no rooster. The ones I had where too loud.

Back
Top Bottom