Living life on the edge (of the incubator) hatch-a-long

Pics
Ok, so you also had an elephant bush. You had the variegated form, which is even harder to keep happy indoors due to its lack of chlorophyll in certain parts of the leaf. Echeveria are easy to etiolate, and sedum sunsets are a beautiful sunset type colour (as the name suggests) when sun stressed, which leads me to believe that they also did not get enough sun. All of this applies if they were kept indoors, or in shade. If not, then there probably were other factors
:bow You’re hired. Come save my plants. :lol:
The room they are kept in is fairly dark but it does have south facing windows on one end. I worried they’d get too much sun if kept close by.

Ok, so you also had an elephant bush. You had the variegated form, which is even harder to keep happy indoors due to its lack of chlorophyll in certain parts of the leaf. Echeveria are easy to etiolate, and sedum sunsets are a beautiful sunset type colour (as the name suggests) when sun stressed, which leads me to believe that they also did not get enough sun. All of this applies if they were kept indoors, or in shade. If not, then there probably were other factors
1707749523210.png

Old picture but this is the area my plants usually are. Most of the plants in this picture are dead now. :oops:

:bow You’re hired. Come save my plants. :lol:
The room they are kept in is fairly dark but it does have south facing windows on one end. I worried they’d get too much sun if kept close by.

I wouldn't be afraid with exposing them to sun. I had a cactus that got drenched during the winter, and then fried when the first strong sun rays came in spring. By the time summer rolled around, it had started growing again (then of course I placed it somewhere and forgot about it as I usually do, and now it's fried again. Oh well, see you next summer). There is almost no way to get true direct sun indoors. It'll all pretty much be indirect, except for maybe one to two hours a day. This will mean that you won't get any sun stress (meaning mostly green succulents, no reds, purples, deep reds, oranges or yellows), and you will also need to water less frequently, as water won't evaporate as quickly

View attachment 3746091
Old picture but this is the area my plants usually are. Most of the plants in this picture are dead now. :oops:

I see some spider plants, snake plants, and English ivy, but I have no experience with those, so I won't speak about them (although snake plants and succulents are not very distantly related care wise). The echeveria as I predicted seems etiolated, meaning leggy, with smaller leaves as it grows. That means it didn't get enough light. I do see two haworthia, that do not show any major signs of light deprivation, other than not very compact growth. They do look like they're not close enough to the sun, though

I see some spider plants, snake plants, and English ivy, but I have no experience with those, so I won't speak about them (although snake plants and succulents are not very distantly related care wise). The echeveria as I predicted seems etiolated, meaning leggy, with smaller leaves as it grows. That means it didn't get enough light. I do see two haworthia, that do not show any major signs of light deprivation, other than not very compact growth. They do look like they're not close enough to the sun, though
Thank you! I’ll try to put together a better arrangement for light exposure.

And I missed the plant discussion!
Y'all have some lovely succulents!

Tink- I had a Twig like yours, kept getting bigger, gave it to hubby and few years later he'd turned it into a massive cascade style bonsai. I'll see if he has a picture of it, LoL I'm sure he does.
Portulacaria afra aka Jade plant is very popular for bonsai. It'll grow bigger if you move it outside when your weather warms up.

And here is a pic of my massive adenium, aka Desert Rose. (that's a 24" paving stone it's sitting on) I've had it for over three decades now, it weighs a ton and needs repotting again but I haven't found something big enough for it. Anyone wanna come help repot it? 🤣

Okay, back to the eggs now! 😁
Your desert rose is GORGEOUS!

I'll have to let Twig do some free ranging this summer then 😁

Your desert rose is GORGEOUS!

I'll have to let Twig do some free ranging this summer then 😁

I do this for my (or at least what I thought was) crested succulent propagations. They spend their spring, summer and early fall outdoors, and their winter indoors. Be careful to know which season is your plant's growing season, however. Aeonium for example has its growing period in the fall and winter months, becoming dormant in the summer, at which point direct sunlight can become slightly more dangerous

Back
Top Bottom