Lock Down Questions

Pics

DownLo

Chirping
Mar 26, 2018
Our first duck egg is 24 days old and we are getting ready for lock down. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

We constructed a DIY styrofoam incubator and we’ve had success keeping good temp and humidity using sponges and a 15 watt bulb.

I know we need to up the humidity which is easy with the sponges but not sure how best to maintain a lower temp. We have 3 small holes drilled in that we use tape to cover if temp drops now.
We candled the egg last night and we saw movement and good veins. Air sac looks good but a little on the small side.

We’ve outlined the airsac with a pencil. We tried lowering the humidity a bit the last 4-5 days and we have been gently misting the egg after cool down period 1-2x per day.

Do we need to cover the light bulb with wire mesh so the duckling doesn't touch it?

Is it ok to just place a dish towel on the bottom of the incubator to prep for duckling?

Currently we have a small jar of water in the incubator that has seemed to help with temp control. Should that be removed before lock down?

We are so excited to hopefully have the little guy hatch. We know these last few days are critical and he is not guaranteed to make it, but we sure have our fingers crossed!

We've learned a lot for your posts. TIA

Introducing Doug born at 7pm!!

How long in the incubator now?

Humidity is a little high at 81%

Temp is 99 degree.

Should I move anything out of his way as he dries?

Can I open up the incubator to dry off the glass so we can see him better?

Attachments

• BB6C7A4C-520C-4393-8081-087F540E04DC.jpeg
    BB6C7A4C-520C-4393-8081-087F540E04DC.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 15
Hi. Thanks for asking.

We are on day 27 and humidity and temp are

He went in lockdown yesterday at 8am. Right before lockdown I candled him and there was good movement. Yay. I thought I started to see the beginning of internal pip but I’m not sure. He started rocking quite a bit day 26 evening.

No sign of any external pipping yet. Is that OK.

Should I check him? I can maintain temp and humidity by quickly opening the bator in a steamy warm bathroom.

Duck eggs require 55-60% humidity from start to day before lock down. On lockdown, they need 65-70% humidity. Is the egg solid with movement or is there light parts of the egg?
When your egg hatches, you will need to find it a partner. Ducks are social just like any other animal and need company.

Does you duck eggs look like either of these two images? If not can you upload a picture of it?

imgp2310ed.jpg imgp2321ed.jpg

Just saw this this morning. Not sure when it happened. I think recently but there was a lot of condensation.

I did very quickly wipe window and place freshly wet sponges this morning whilst in a warm steamy bathroom where the temp and humidity remained the same.

Attachments

• F43EE302-7481-4719-892F-6412BBCF168E.jpeg
    F43EE302-7481-4719-892F-6412BBCF168E.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 9
DOUG!! :love

Myself, since its the only duckling in there, I'd take it out as soon as it's up and moving about well. You can definitely open the lid to wipe the condensation. Just leave him till he's getting around good, and is well rested from the ordeal!

Congrats! Great job!! :clap
Doug is my new favorite duck!
:love

Duck eggs require 55-60% humidity from start to day before lock down. On lockdown, they need 65-70% humidity. Is the egg solid with movement or is there light parts of the egg?
When your egg hatches, you will need to find it a partner. Ducks are social just like any other animal and need company.

Does you duck eggs look like either of these two images? If not can you upload a picture of it?

View attachment 1331769 View attachment 1331770
You are going to tell us what the difference in these two are right? :pop

Back
Top Bottom