Lock Down the Grandpa’s Feeder, the Boys Are Back in Town!

Farmgirl1878

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 17, 2017
Piketon, Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
I love my new feeders... and so do the raccoons. Have any of you guys devised a way to lock up the feeders at night so the vermin, I mean “neighbors” can’t get into the chickens’ breakfast? I’ve tried weighing down the top, but they just shove the rock off and dig right in. Im getting some pretty nice guns from moving the feeder in and out of the coop, but sheesh...

I love my new feeders... and so do the raccoons. Have any of you guys devised a way to lock up the feeders at night so the vermin, I mean “neighbors” can’t get into the chickens’ breakfast? I’ve tried weighing down the top, but they just shove the rock off and dig right in. Im getting some pretty nice guns from moving the feeder in and out of the coop, but sheesh...
You might be able to use tie downs instead of a weight...
91HHl8%2BLmiL._SX522_.jpg

I prefer these type over the ratcheting because they are just easier to use.

The rule of thumb is if a 3 year old can figure it out, so can a coon. While these aren't to complicated, I can't see a coon figuring them out really. :confused:

If your are willing to dispatch (NOT relocate) then I would suggest a Duke dog proof trap baited with a marshmallow...
upload_2018-7-13_6-58-22.jpeg
:fl

Love the ratcheting tie downs idea! I was thinking about trying a bungee cord. Hubby suggested drilling two holes below the level of the training holes to keep the lid from lifting. Then, every evening, I can just run a hanger through the holes to keep the coons from lifting the lid. I'm sure they can figure that idea out.

I am willing to kill them. but considering I live on a 160-acre tree farm, that's not really feasible. I'd spend all my nights taking them out! Then the o'possums would just move in! :he:lau

I would put a hot-wire controlled by a timer around those little feeders. Have timer set for on roughly 30 minutes after dusk to about 30 minutes before dawn. Just a single wire about 4" high can be positioned so Raccoon get zapped when it steps on treadle. I bet wire be setup around only one side of feeder to work. When Raccoons probe my defenses they avoid areas in close proximity to the hotwire forming perimeter. They

Back
Top Bottom