Lockdown in 2 days

Here are 2 that were born yesterday. 2 today still in incubator. 2 zipped. 2 or 3 little pips

I don't think anymore are coming so I have 6 little babies. How did you clean it out. What did you use?
I just removed everything (unhatched eggs and shells and the paper towels and washed the tray and grate with hot soapy water and wiped the lid with a rag. Letting it drynow so that I could put it way.

I just removed everything (unhatched eggs and shells and the paper towels and washed the tray and grate with hot soapy water and wiped the lid with a rag. Letting it drynow so that I could put it way.

Sounds like that's what I'll be doing. And thanks again. What an experience that was.

Mike...I was wondering how you were coming along! Congrats on a successful hatch!

A chick can stay in the incubator a couple days. They have nutrients from the yolk sac they just absorbed. I would leave unhatched eggs in there for a few more days to see if there are any late stragglers coming!

As far as the brooder...I am not sure what your set up is. They need access to fresh food, water,clean bedding and warmth until they get their feathers.

I have those Brinsea brooder 20 things. I was using the big bulb at first but I think I baked my chick. I knew I would be raising more chicks...so, I made the investment.

I have chicks born Dec 8th who lost their heat yesterday.

Congrats again on your chicks! Put up a pic!

I did not look like any others where going to hatch but I still have one chick in there who might put in the brooder tonight with the rest.

For a brooder I am using a 35 or 40 gal bucket. (I had bought a 30 gal, but saw a bigger one in my mom's basement where she puts her Christmas stuff. Changed them out so I could have a little bigger one for them). I do have fresh water and food in there. I tried put 3 of the chicks beaks in the water to show them each one got excited was like diving for it. Lol I put piece of fence on top. ( the poultry one) and have a light on in. Which I feel I should raise up a little more. I saw some laying on there backs. Haha they look dead but are breathing fine like that, and when I would try touch to flip, they would flip quickly. Is it normal for some to lay on there backs? But anyways here is a picture.

Mike...I was wondering how you were coming along! Congrats on a successful hatch!

A chick can stay in the incubator a couple days. They have nutrients from the yolk sac they just absorbed. I would leave unhatched eggs in there for a few more days to see if there are any late stragglers coming!

As far as the brooder...I am not sure what your set up is. They need access to fresh food, water,clean bedding and warmth until they get their feathers.

I have those Brinsea brooder 20 things. I was using the big bulb at first but I think I baked my chick. I knew I would be raising more chicks...so, I made the investment.

I have chicks born Dec 8th who lost their heat yesterday.

Congrats again on your chicks! Put up a pic!

They lost there heat yesterday. Where do you live? Here in washington has been in the upper 40s, low 50s. And 2hat kind of chicks do you have.

I did not look like any others where going to hatch but I still have one chick in there who might put in the brooder tonight with the rest.

For a brooder I am using a 35 or 40 gal bucket. (I had bought a 30 gal, but saw a bigger one in my mom's basement where she puts her Christmas stuff. Changed them out so I could have a little bigger one for them). I do have fresh water and food in there. I tried put 3 of the chicks beaks in the water to show them each one got excited was like diving for it. Lol I put piece of fence on top. ( the poultry one) and have a light on in. Which I feel I should raise up a little more. I saw some laying on there backs. Haha they look dead but are breathing fine like that, and when I would try touch to flip, they would flip quickly. Is it normal for some to lay on there backs? But anyways here is a picture.

They look wonderful they may be on their backs because they are too warm. Do they have a cooler area they can go to. I have mine set so one half is warm the other no heat, just from the house.

They look wonderful they may be on their backs because they are too warm. Do they have a cooler area they can go to. I have mine set so one half is warm the other no heat, just from the house.

Yea they can walk away from the light. Where I took the picture if they walk towards me, there is no light on top. But I will be raising it as soon as I get home.

Yea they can walk away from the light. Where I took the picture if they walk towards me, there is no light on top. But I will be raising it as soon as I get home.
Just wanted to let you that I found an infrared bulb that does not put off light. It is for reptiles. I like it because it doesn't pit off light so the little cuties can be in the dark for a while. Mine still get up in the night to eat and drink but it is not blasting light on them all the time. Right now I am using an actual brooder I borrowed. Going to get me one of those bulbs for next hatch.

Yes you need to make sure they can get out of the heat.  It is not normal for them to lie on their backs. Can you position the light so that it can shine towards one side of the tote? Be super careful with the heat lamps. I almost caught my garage on fire once.  

It's not a heat lamp. It's a 100wtt. I do have a heat lamp but did not put it on. I will put it only to one side, thanks.

So how do you show them to eat and drink. One knocked it out. I showed others where the water was and food. Some drank hut not eat. Today is the end of the second day. Are they still going of the egg? And not so hungry yet?

Back
Top Bottom