1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lockdown!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dirty Dozen, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Dirty Dozen

Dirty Dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    Just candled and put 37 eggs in cartons to hatch (1st time with cartons). 2 possibly 3 might be quitters. Amazing how some are further along than others so I won't dump them yet. Will start raising humidity tomorrow. 1 had to go solo on wire (no more room). Think I might like the egg carton thing. Easier than killing my eyes trying to find out who rolled where! Wish me luck!

2. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    Happy Hatching! [​IMG] Hope it goes well for your babies in the cartons!

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Lots of good luck and hope you have a great hatch [​IMG]

4. HereInOz

HereInOz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Joplin, Missouri

x2!

5. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I'm new to hatching and don't understand all the methods. What is the egg carton for? Is it just some way to tell which chick came from which egg?

6. HereInOz

HereInOz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Joplin, Missouri

I'm pretty new to all this myself but using egg cartons is a great way to keep the eggs in place during lockdown and it helps keep the first chicks hatched from kicking the other eggs around. Just gotta make sure and cut holes in the bottom of the egg cups so the eggs can breathe. Hope this helped [​IMG].

7. Dirty Dozen

Dirty Dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    Realized I can't do cartons. Once they start to hatch, no rooms for chix to run around so out they go! Hoping to hear some peeping or see some rocking Tuesday or Wednesday. So exciting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by