Locked doors

Dr. Doolittle

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Well I've started building a coop, and one thing I noticed after looking at a lot of designs and photographs, is most everyone has a padlock of some kind on the doors. Is there a problem with chicken theives? I have to slide latches top and bottom, but is a lock something I need to put on my door?

steve
cool.png

welcome-byc.gif

I believe for some people the locks are due to clever 4 legged predators i.e. raccoons who can undo most any other kind of lock, and for some..... yes, 2 legged predators have been an issue with the loss of birds and or eggs.

I have read posts concerning both types of predators here on BYC.

I personally received a very odd phone call this past week, from an unknown person wanting chickens, even though I live in the middle of nowhere, don't sell chicks, chickens or eggs. This person was looking for chickens because of our economy and had been unable to locate any layers at a price they wanted to pay. Needless to say, "the girls" are kept secure from all types of predators.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm........

I don't have a lock on mine. I did have a family member coming over and helping herself to eggs in my nest boxes which are accessed from outside of my coop. I did put a stop to that. There are pics on my BYC Page.

I have two latches, one high and one low. I don't think the four legged raiders could unhook either, but this way I have a backup. I'm not concerned about the two legged ones due to my remote location.

Back
Top Bottom