lonely rooster.

ChickenPeep

Faith & Feathers
11 Years
May 1, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Hey all
frow.gif

this is probably one of those '"DUH!" questions.
I have 3 rsl hens,and 1 BSL. I also have 11 chicks (not really, they're 8 wks old.) and one of those being a Silver Duckwing OEGB cock.
I was just wondering, will I be able to mmix them together when he's old enough?
If I can't, he'll just be a house chicken.
wink.png

I'd say no, but others might disagree.

I have Sebrights and some OEG crosses in a pen together, they be about the same size as your cock once he's grown up. When I clean the pens they all go together for awhile and the big ones push the little ones around a bit. I also have my waterers and feeders raised to prevent a mess and straw getting into the dishes, theres no way such a small bird could reach to get food and water. And even if they were on the ground, theres no guarentee that the big birds would let them eat anyways.

Thanks for the replies.
This is what I was thinking:
OEGB hen would be totally kicked out and not allowed to eat.
OEGB rooster would hold his ground.

Oh no, I don't have a hen! That's just what I was thinking. I was thinking that a hen wouldn't be good with them, but a rooster might.
tongue.png

Last edited:
i keep my cockerals and roosters in their own spacious accomodations until i want to breed them. this works out well for us. boys in pens along the perimeter of the layer run, entertaining the ladies. some boys live together well in the same pens, but there is plenty of room.

Quote:
I dissagree- an OEGB hen/pullet can hold her own for sure!
Just because a chicken is small, it doesn't mean it's not high on the pecking order!

I have over 100 chickens-some for showing, some for eggs, some for breeding and some for fun.
Many,many coops as well.
In my "fun" pen I have at least 20- Ranging from Giant Orphington hens,showgirls,japs to tiny seramas- 3 roos total(Jap, Araucana and serama)
The old Jap is the boss.
As far as the other birds I have, they freerange for about 2 hours a day(under supervision-hawks are bad here in Florida)
They are all out together- LF Phoenix, Bantam Phoenix, Bantam Araucana, OEG bantams, Sebrights,Bantam modern Games, LF Rocks-White and Barred, EE's, Bantam Leghorns and many more- Lots of roosters in this mix too!

You wanna know who's on the top of the pecking order while freeranging? My sweet little Self Blue OEGB Pullet Katara and her husband Saka LOL!

Last edited:
Quote:
I dissagree- an OEGB hen/pullet can hold her own for sure!
Just because a chicken is small, it doesn't mean it's not high on the pecking order!

I have over 100 chickens-some for showing, some for eggs, some for breeding and some for fun.
Many,many coops as well.
In my "fun" pen I have at least 20- Ranging from a Giant Orphington hen to tiny seramas- 3 roos total(Jap, Araucana and serama)
The old Jap is the boss.
As far as the other birds I have, they freerange for about 2 hours a day(under supervision-hawks are bad here in Florida)
They are all out together- LF Phoenix, Bantam Phoenix, Bantam Araucana, OEG bantams, Sebrights,Bantam modern Games, LF Rocks-White and Barred, EE's, Bantam Leghorns and many more- Lots of roosters in this mix too!

You wanna know who's on the top of the pecking order while freeranging? My sweet little Self Blue OEGB Pullet Katara and her husband Saka LOL!

Wow. That's nice knowing thay small dosen't mean weak!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom