LongEGGvity

GCrumb

Songster
Apr 15, 2023
I have read that Crevecoeur and Langshans tend to be slow to start laying (and of course don't compare to production breeds in egg numbers) but that they are more likely to keep laying until late in life. Are there other breeds that have this reputation?

My experience is that most chickens stop laying, or lay vey infrequently, after the age of around five. But don't tend to die of age until around eight or ten. If you've had a hen who laid at least once a week in old age, what breed was she?

I haven't had any pure breeds long enough for them to lay eggs in old age, but I have 4 mixed breeds who are old and lay a few times a week! One of them is 8yo and the other 3 are 7yo.
I would look for breeds that don't lay too too much, no more than 4 times a week I'd say. Definitely don't get any production breeds, they tend to stop laying at 4 ish years old, but they do lay a lot.

I have read that Crevecoeur and Langshans tend to be slow to start laying (and of course don't compare to production breeds in egg numbers) but that they are more likely to keep laying until late in life. Are there other breeds that have this reputation?

My experience is that most chickens stop laying, or lay vey infrequently, after the age of around five. But don't tend to die of age until around eight or ten. If you've had a hen who laid at least once a week in old age, what breed was she?
My WFB Spanish bantam is about 10 and still lays. Nothing fertile, but still edible. Cochin bantam from the same batch lays fertile eggs as of last fall

Back
Top Bottom