Look at picture! Baby chicks in Utah. Can they go out?

amijab

Songster
8 Years
Dec 30, 2011
Husband is ready to give chicks away if I don't get them out of the house. It is 40 degrees at night and 60s in day. Can they go out yet? They are 4 weeks old and seem to have lots of feathers. Here is a pic of them I just took tonight. Little stinkers keep jumping over the cardboard.

Yes, I'd say they should be okay. At four weeks, they've got quite a few feathers. If you're worried, you could string up a heat lamp to your coop for nights.
Your chicks look very similar to how mine did when they were about a month old, and that was around the time that ours started sleeping outdoors in the coop. Temperatures around 10-15*C at night, so a bit warmer, but we didn't use a heat lamp.

Tell your hubby to spend the night outside and see if it is warm enough
wink.png
. Just kidding. I would say they are fine too, but I would have a lamp out there, myself. Maybe just a 100 watt, as opposed to a heat lamp, with access to a cooler area of the coop. Probably would make me feel better, than it would be needed for the chicks, but just in case. Our weather has been so weird lately, 60's last week, snowing heavily today, that I would l like to have a lamp out there if I needed it.

Back
Top Bottom