look what I caught!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also have saved the bird from being beaten to death by a mother hen. The authorities would simply release it again into the wild... which is exactly what the op is planning to do (or already did). No harm no foul, in my opinion.

My sister once rescued a female red-tailed hawk that was found sitting on the side of the road. After nursing it back to health, she turned it in to a local avian rehap facility. They were quite happy to continue caring for it, and appreciated her assistance in saving its life. She was NOT fined or treated as if she'd done anything wrong by "harrassing/interferring/catching/transporting it, etc." while acting as a good samaritan towards wildlife.

It was determined that the bird must have been kept as an illegal pet, and had never learned how to fly properly during the critical stage of flight muscle development. The bird had been slowly starving to death because it was unable to make a kill in the wild. She subsequently lived the rest of her life at the rehab facility and was used for educational display purposes.

I don't think the law is enforced quite as strictly as you seem to assume. Motivations and circumstances are usually considered before punishing those with good intentions.

Last edited:
Hmmm.....I didn't see where you couldn't BBQ one there in those there rules. Who made up that stupid law anyhow. Oh yeah, I forgot, we have the government watching out for every living thing except for citizens, don't we?

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Seriously what are you supposed to do if the thing is actually coming into your coop? Just sit back and enjoy the show? No way.

Trust me, I am definately on your side. I actually nearly ended up in federal prison with a hawk fiasco, so I worry for you guys. In this thread, a fed has all they need to' arrest and fine the OP. Most of the time people taking the birds to' rehab places Are not pestered about the law. I had a friend that rescued a hawk. It had a broken wing. Based on federal regulations, a bird of prey with a injury that makes the bird non- releasable gets a grace period of sorts, then it has to' be' destroyed. It makes nº sense. So he kept it. He got found out. They destroyed the bird and he is in jail with unpayable fines.

If the bird is eating your face off, you Are allowed to' run, in a non threatening way.

I'm with arherp on this one. Unless there it is written into the law or there is case law on (what would seem to be) common sense stuff like "can you shoot them in the act of attacking livestock or pets" and "can you capture and release if caught in a pen," then what really matters is how your local law enforcement interprets the law. Not how you or I or some sheriff in some other state interpret it.

And by 'local law enforcement' I mean anyone who has jurisdiction. Just because Sheriff Jim Bob in your county tells you that you can shoot, or trap and move...if a federal officer finds out (say, by reading a thread like this) you did it and they want to come after you for it, they can.

When it comes to the legal system, too many people will say "oh that can't happen" just because it seems ridiculous to them...when it can happen, it just doesn't happen to everyone every time.

Sorry, but any animal that preys on one of mine either gets brought down the road many, many miles away or takes a dirt nap & no one needs to know but me.

...JP

Quote:
LOL in your defense...
hugs.gif

There WAS another bigger red-tailed hawk hanging around my chicken pen also...
so..it could have indeed been killed by another hawk over food... (like you said..)
All i know is, Either my roos or the bigger hawk did it.
hu.gif
Either one is possible.

AND to the OP..good job mamma hen!
woot.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom