Look what I got today!....Final count! Pics!!

wee.gif

My little chicks are starting to hatch! I had 1 pip 1230am on egg 11. She she hatched sometime before 730am.
I also have 2 pips on eggs 2 and 3...All are light brown eggs....

Also want to add, I am trying the carton method this time. I like it a lot more than setting them on the bottom, mainly because they aren't rolling around and running into eachother.

I was actually very surprised that they started pipping already...My temp was 2.5* low the whole hatch, and I didnt notice it until day 18 - my probe was above the eggs - the dogs must have pulled the cord when they were in there, so I set it about halfway down the eggs, and found how low it actually was...

It's possible I might need to do the horrible and open the bator early to get the chicks out from today so they arent in there too long...The others dont look like they want to come out yet!
wink.png

Anyway, pics will come when they get out of the bator!

It's possible that your temps weren't off after all, and it was just your thermometer not reading right!

The chicks can stay in there for up to 3 days. Just make sure that if you do open it, there are no other pips.

Good luck on your hatch!!
fl.gif
And congrats on the babies!!
ya.gif

I dont think it was the thermometer - I've been using my indoor/outdoor one. I actually have calibrated it, and it was only .2* off...My incubator is falling apart, so I'm not surprised the temp is different in different places in the bator
smile.png

Anyway, I wont open unless I have to, but I dont think they will hatch within 2-3 days! Hopefully they do though...

I'm so excited that they are actually hatching!!!

Quote:
I would not be concerned about cooling the eggs by taking them out of the bator for a few minutes.

I would rather take them out all at once, and put them back same way, this way bator will not cool down much. Most bators take long time to reach proper temperature after prolonged or frequent opening.

In nature broody hen leaves the nest every day for at least few minutes to eat, empty herself even take a quick dust bath if she has a chance.

Cooling chicken eggs during incubation its probably beneficial or harmless, cooling goose and duck eggs is proven to be beneficial.

One more chick has hatched. It is a very large grey chick, with furry feet. The first was a little black chick.

Also, I have 7 more pips...one looks like it was starting to zip already...Hopefully it will be out before I go to bed tonight!

I do have some questions though...One pipped about 9am today. It pipped near the top of the egg, and its head is upside down? Will this prevent it from hatching on its own? It hasn't made any progress, so I'm hoping its just going to be a slow hatcher...I would rather not help it until everyone else is out...

Second question...The first chick to hatch is being very mean and pecking at the other chick...should I raise the humidity and swipe him out quick? He's been in there all day, and I think is getting bored...The other chick has gotten to the point it needs to bite it to keep him away....They're also losing space because of the 3 cartons that are in there...

Any advise would be great
smile.png

WOW! I had 3 more come out last night, and one that pipped last night! The pretty dark brown egg hatched! I wish I knew which chick it was
wink.png

The one that pipped, but looked upside down ended up dying in its shell. I read a few other post about helping, so I plucked it out and zipped the shell for it and put it back in, but it looks like it was stuck to its shell and wasn't strong enough to come out. Ill take a look when they come out to see why it wouldn't hatch.

I also ended up plucking the trouble maker out. Of course when I opened the bator, the second one that hatched hopped out when it was open, so I just took her out and put her in the brooder...
There are a lot of chicks in there, so I might raise the humidity and take a few more out.

Anyway, pics are coming! Ill take a few more when I take a couple more out of the bator
smile.png

wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom