Lookie what I caught...

lil'turkeymama

Songster
9 Years
May 14, 2010
Alabama
I found one pullet dead and am missing too more.I set the live traps.I set sizes from rat to big dog.4 different traps.3 days of having the little traps sprung and nothing in the big one.Last night I went to re-set them and before I could get them all set I had this dog in the big one.I'm not sure it got my birds but it did get in the trap I baited with the dead one.I saw this dog running up and down the road about 10 days ago.I knew it didn't belong to any neighbors and was probably a stray or lost.I decided it was too nice a dog to just cull.It is possible someone just lost her.So right now I have her tied and am trying to find the owner or a new one.We have lots of these type dogs where I live and some are really champion dogs.I really can't blame her if she got a free ranging bird.She's a hunting dog and was most likely hungry.Anyway,you never know what might get in a trap.I hope I can find her owner.
fl.gif

57544_bluetickgirl2.jpg

lil'turkeymama :

I found one pullet dead and am missing too more.I set the live traps.I set sizes from rat to big dog.4 different traps.3 days of having the little traps sprung and nothing in the big one.Last night I went to re-set them and before I could get them all set I had this dog in the big one.I'm not sure it got my birds but it did get in the trap I baited with the dead one.I saw this dog running up and down the road about 10 days ago.I knew it didn't belong to any neighbors and was probably a stray or lost.I decided it was too nice a dog to just cull.It is possible someone just lost her.So right now I have her tied and am trying to find the owner or a new one.We have lots of these type dogs where I live and some are really champion dogs.I really can't blame her if she got a free ranging bird.She's a hunting dog and was most likely hungry.Anyway,you never know what might get in a trap.I hope I can find her owner.
fl.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/57544_bluetickgirl2.jpg

We have a "dog catcher" who works for our police department, don't you? If not, you should probably call your local police/sheriff department and report the dog as found. Perhaps the owners notified them that he was lost. I think I'd be worried about diseases if he's been roaming for some time. If you're not going to report him to the authorities, you should at least get him to a vet ASAP for a check-up. Poor thing, he looks scared.​

Bluetick coonhound. Yes, they are chicken killers. I have one myself and she stays kenneled unless she is on a leash. I cannot trust her around the chickens. They are too prey driven to be trusted around anything small. She could very well have killed your chickens.

And definitely consider the distance that dog could have come from......they can travel when their mind and body is on a scent. That or someone dumped her. I hope you post an add on Craigslist as well.

Good luck in finding the owner-or a new one.

Probably there is some coon hunter calling like mad for it--they get going and forget how to get back. It wasn't a coon dog but an English Setter that belong to a friend, we used to say every time he took it hunting he had to put an ad in the paper to get it back.

Quote:
We have a "dog catcher" who works for our police department, don't you? If not, you should probably call your local police/sheriff department and report the dog as found. Perhaps the owners notified them that he was lost. I think I'd be worried about diseases if he's been roaming for some time. If you're not going to report him to the authorities, you should at least get him to a vet ASAP for a check-up. Poor thing, he looks scared.

Yes,we have animal control here.They will pick up a dog and give it 5 days before they put it down.I have no desire to have her vetted and then put down after 5 days.She is very friendly and,sorry, but is not scared.Lost yes,scared no.The very reason I chained her is to keep her away from my own dogs although she seems to be very healthly for a stray.If you would like to come and foster her,by all means please do.

Back
Top Bottom