Looking for ideas to separate rooster from hens but....

allow the hens the ability to go back and forth.
I'm not sure it's possible but he is pretty big and they are pretty small, so I thought if I made them a place to lay their eggs in private and a place to get away from him if they feel the need, everyone would be happy. They stay in a 10'x30' foot indoor run until I come home from work and then are let outside in the sun.
I just thought I'd ask before I started to plan in case someone else had managed that already. :)

Thanks,
Cheryl
Instead of separating him you could maybe try to put more hiding places and perches in the run so the hen in question can escape. It sounds like she is his favorite hen to mate with so that is why she's been having problems. I would try the saddle and see if that helps. If all else fails, you could tether him or keep him in a carrier in the coop for a while. I can't think of any other ways that would work.

If you put him in a sleepy box at night, and then let him out at say 10 am, then put him to bed early say 5 pm or so not only will hens be happier, but neighbors too.

I have a little cabinet with door, and air holes for my sleepy box.

We have 6 hens, 1 rooster and still had one that seems to be the favorite. She ended up with missing back feathers and a deep cut that had to be treated. After it started healing I also sprayed the area with a dye to keep the others from pecking her. I kept them separated by having a small fenced area (or a dog kennel) inside the run where I could keep the hen separate or keep the rooster locked up. I kept them separated for a couple of weeks and then started letting him in the coop at night. Its been about a month now and they are back in the same coop/run. Her feathers are growing back and everything seems to be back to normal.

allow the hens the ability to go back and forth. I'm not sure it's possible but he is pretty big and they are pretty small, so I thought if I made them a place to lay their eggs in private and a place to get away from him if they feel the need, everyone would be happy. They stay in a 10'x30' foot indoor run until I come home from work and then are let outside in the sun.
I just thought I'd ask before I started to plan in case someone else had managed that already.

I have used a tie cord A.K.A a string walk to tether the rooster where he is able to interact with the flock and breed them mostly as the notion hits the hens. I never keep up with the love life of my hens but it seems likely that during the high season for egg laying that each hen I wished to breed went to the rooster one or two times per day. I have even seen hens squat beyond the reach of the rooster and then get up and relocate closer to the roo squat again and patiently wait for service. I also feel that this helps keep the roosters sperm count high.

Back
Top Bottom