1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for pics of Holderread welsh harlies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dusky Beauty, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    I'd like to compare some welsh harlequin birds from Holderreads to Metzer's (which mine are), just for the funsies of comparison. Hubby already gave me permission to pick up turkey poults and goslings in feb, but I wouldn't mind slipping in another duck order somewhere. I've been a really good girl all year after all! Even keeping my promise of processing culls which was not easy the first time doing it! HA!

2. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Here are my birds from holderreads...and I'm on my cell phone now and im not sure how to add the pics With my phone or else I would just add pics directly onto here...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=606083

OK im home now so im gonna add some pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These 2 are golds
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ANNNNDDDD when they were babies <3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  3. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Drop dead stunning! did you end up with any gold phase, or just silvers in the bunch?

I got myself out there in a RARE Phoenix winter rainstorm to do some new photos of my metzer harlies.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I love my WH drake [​IMG] he is down right STUNNING I also have three hens and two look like white, and their wings are blue, but one hen has gold all over and has blue wings... Whats that make her?

5. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:pics!!! and that makes her a silver

6. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG] and I ended up with 3 gold phase and 5 silver

7. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Silver phase harlies have the blue and green bands on their wings, gold phase have brown and gold tones

8. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    From Holderread descent, but not directly. These are the old ones, one of our hens won reserve of breed at the Crossroads show, but I can't find the current flock picture.

[​IMG]

Here the reserve of breed winner is lounging in her cage at Nationals.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  9. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:wow! My drake looks like your drakes only not as much brown! (hes still a baby)

10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    From the pictures given, there is a lot of difference in the quality between the Holderread ducks and the Metzer ducks.

But the Metzer ducks are pretty too, and Metzer does not claim to sell exhibition quality, so they aren't cheating anyone. The Metzer ducks look better than WH I've seen from other hatcheries.

Still, a couple more dollars and you can have Holderread ducks and a great start to a nice flock. A week after the check is written, you'll forget how much you paid and really enjoy those gorgeous ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by