Looking for reinforcement?...

justcallmekinn

Chirping
Mar 21, 2019
Mississippi
Okidai, so I have five Raptors(what I call my chickens). One hen and four 6.5 week old pullets. I just need some back up. I'm pretty sure I know what all but one Pullet is, but I would like to know what others think. Any and all thoughts.
Pullet A is Mary Cluckins( so dubbed by my younger brother. And sold to me as Brahma, is she buff or light? I think buff.)
IMG_20190911_162018300.jpg
IMG_20190911_160006384.jpg

Pullets B lighter (called Ducky)and C darker (called Chicky-chick) were sold to me as Cuckoo Marans, but my thinking is wobbly because one is darker than the other. And no it's not the lighting, I used flash.
IMG_20190911_155604634.jpg

And the fourth D, my enigma. She is hypermelanistic(human term, it's iso for chickens, right?) Her skin, crop, beak are all black. Except for her...jowls? And the absolute tip of her crop. Her feathers are blueish. But! I just noticed today she(in the last week) has gotten some little red feathers on the bottom of her neck. They are seriously cool looking. Like little Sparks of flame among smokey soot. She maybe a mix, she maybe a mutation, she maybe a super rare breed. Idk, she is just my baby.
IMG_20190911_161755271.jpg
IMG_20190911_160912287.jpg
IMG_20190911_160738441.jpg

So I'm done with pics, I could pm you a butt ton more, seriously, my phoned memery is almost full of chick and hen pics. What are y'alls thoughts? I'm sitting on my hands waiting.

Buff brahma cockerel (judging by comb growth)
C and B are barred rock pullets
The last one some sort of cockerel. The 'jowls' are flaps of skin under the chin called wattles.

Okidai, so I have five Raptors(what I call my chickens). One hen and four 6.5 week old pullets. I just need some back up. I'm pretty sure I know what all but one Pullet is, but I would like to know what others think. Any and all thoughts.
Pullet A is Mary Cluckins( so dubbed by my younger brother. And sold to me as Brahma, is she buff or light? I think buff.)
View attachment 1905183 View attachment 1905187
Pullets B lighter (called Ducky)and C darker (called Chicky-chick) were sold to me as Cuckoo Marans, but my thinking is wobbly because one is darker than the other. And no it's not the lighting, I used flash.
View attachment 1905188
And the fourth D, my enigma. She is hypermelanistic(human term, it's iso for chickens, right?) Her skin, crop, beak are all black. Except for her...jowls? And the absolute tip of her crop. Her feathers are blueish. But! I just noticed today she(in the last week) has gotten some little red feathers on the bottom of her neck. They are seriously cool looking. Like little Sparks of flame among smokey soot. She maybe a mix, she maybe a mutation, she maybe a super rare breed. Idk, she is just my baby.
View attachment 1905189 View attachment 1905190View attachment 1905191
So I'm done with pics, I could pm you a butt ton more, seriously, my phoned memery is almost full of chick and hen pics. What are y'alls thoughts? I'm sitting on my hands waiting.
I had two Cuckoo Marans and one was darker than the other. The darker turned out to be a Roo and I found him a beautiful home. The lighter color one - his sister is with me and she recently started laying beautiful colored eggs. I think the one on the left could be a Roo. The Roo is very friendly and caring for his girls. It’s not clear from the pics but the legs should be grey if they are yellow they could be Barred Rock. I’m new to chickens this is just my experience.

Attachments

• 9E2C1EA7-77FB-4357-8146-8B5A465FC053.jpeg
    9E2C1EA7-77FB-4357-8146-8B5A465FC053.jpeg
    544 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Our Buff Brahma pullet didn't start turning red/growing comb until closer to 10 weeks. Here is a pic of her at 4 weeks and then again at 11 weeks. On the other hand, our Orpington (left in the first pic) got her color/comb early on, and she's definitely a pullet. Yours could be an early developing pullet, time will tell. Generally speaking though, the first 3 would look like typical cockerels at that age, and the last looks like a pullet.

BTW Are the cuckoo Marans supposed to have feathered legs like the blacks or blues?

IMG_0319-Edit.jpg

IMG_6286-Edit.jpg

Back
Top Bottom