1. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:I wouldn't put more than 4, maximum. If you live in a year-round mild climate not prone to long rainy stretches, maybe 6-7 but it's more of a gamble w/r/t health issues.

If you only wanted a 4x4 coop, it would be a lot cheaper to build your own reach-in (as opposed to walk-in) one. OTOH if you're spending a buncha money for a walk-in coop, better to have it larger (like at least 4x8 or 6x6 so you can fit a reasonable # chickens in there and/or have storage space for feed etc. JMHO of course.

Good luck,

Pat

3. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    there are several people here on the forum who bought and modified the lowe's playhouse, so you might want to do a search and see what other folks have done with it. it's awfully small, though. i can't imagine that anyone would put more than three or four standard hens in there, even with a big run or free range.

4. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    There is a nice handful of people on here who have this as a coop. If you do a search for play house coop I think you'll find some.

I wouldn't put more then 4 in it.

5. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    Thank you for the replies! The playhouse was on sale for $75 and dh and I wouldn't be able to replicate it for that price, nor would we have the advantage of saving so much time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by