Loose stool?

jdr250

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
I put my chicks outside in the coop for their first night last night. They are 2 and 3 weeks old. They have a heat lamp that is hanging approximately 24 from the ground. The temp was chilly last night it was about 43-45 degrees. I just went down to check on them again (3rd time since morning...Lol) but anyhow I noticed a pile of really wet poop. Should I be worried or could it be stress from being outside, plus yesterday they were outside all day and ate alot of bugs and grass and leaves..etc.

My chicks are about 6 weeks now and they still have some loose poop, especially in the morning. It's mixed though, because during the night their poop left on the roost is solid and dry. I think it's normal to have mixed stools for the birds. Since they don't urinate it makes sense to me.

My chicks are 2 and a half weeks and they still have loose stools also... I was worried but now think its maybe normal
D.gif

OMG the loose stuff does stink!! My six are five weeks old. I thought the dog farted (unfortunately the six are still in the house). Oh, I can't wait for the stink bombs to go outside!

Can I ask why your 6 week olds are in the house? I'm just asking because I'm not sure when to put mine outside... Of course they sure are fun to watch!
ya.gif

I put our chick outside a week ago, she's 5-weeks old now. Of course, we've got the tropical weather in our favor.
big_smile.png

Edit: I forgot to add she's in a pretty unconventional coop...it wasn't in her coop at the time but she now has a piece of old lumber to roost on and she seems to like a box for sitting in.

chickoutside.jpg

Last edited:
mine are still inside b/c the coop isn't done yet! My carpenter friend is over worked and meticulous....so it takes him a long time to get everything "perfect." I bring the stinkies outside when I'm home and can watch them. I am looking forward to being able to leave them outside, but then, you know, I'll get that momma guilt and i'll worry about them all day and night!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom