Losing hope with chicks that hate me šŸ˜£

Gotta start them early. For me I hatch my chicks and my brooder is in my living room where all the noise is at. The chicks get to hear the TV all day, dogs barking at them, vacuum running, and noises from the kitchen. I make sure they hear all that. I also frequently handle them for there check up and food, water changes.

By the time they go outside there fearless and there not afraid of me or outside noises. To me that has been a positive method. I usually keep them in for 1 to 2 months then place them out depending on the time of season.

My 1st flock aren't afraid of my two dogs either, they actually chase them away.

And chickens react and learn from each other. So it's helpful to know this. šŸ™‚

The thing is, if you think they hate you, you will resent them. If you understand that their behavior is based on fear and is a natural instinct built into their DNA, designed to keep them safe and alive, then hopefully your response to them will be pity and compassion. This will give you the drive to be patient with them and not take their behavior personally.

When my granddaughter was 10 she came to live with me. She wanted to make pets of the chickens. I advised against it but she persisted and eventually was able to tame one so she could pick it up and carry it around. It lost its natural fear of being approached and picked up. It wasn't long before a coyote got it. This was what I had feared would happen. Their fears protect them.

Iā€™ve noticed that most chicks donā€™t like being handled until they are fully feathered. Growing in new feathers is rather uncomfortable. I eventually got in the habit of just going and sitting in the chicken tractor with them and basically ignored them. Iā€™d take a book or some paperwork. Eventually when they would get tired they would come and perch on my legs but it took awhile. And mine didnā€™t get comfortable with being picked up until they started laying. My roosters have always been less social even at a few days old so that may be part of it if you havenā€™t gotten straight run before. Also like others have said RIRs are one of the friendliest breed so other breeds may seem unfriendly in comparison.

They are still babies. Give them time.
I have a hen called Crazy. She has that name as she was so flighty and scared of me from the get go as a chick. I did not do anything different with her than the rest if her flock mates but seriously... she squalked and screamed at the sight of me like I was the WORST preditor she ever saw. She is now about 5 years old and she greets me first out the door and will come down from roosting to get a handful of feed from me with time she figured out that I really was not the big bad monster, and that good things happen when I arrive.
Dont give up. Right now with your youngsters there is also a mass hysteria happening. One seems scarred so they all think there is something to be scared about.
Many times I thought about finding Crazy a new home , but I am glad I did not. She is a sweetheartheart.
This is Princess Crazy herself, thinking she is the only one who should get a treet.
20210514_183426.jpg

I have a hen called Crazy. She has that name as she was so flighty and scared of me from the get go as a chick. I did not do anything different with her than the rest if her flock mates but seriously... she squalked and screamed at the sight of me like I was the WORST preditor she ever saw. She is now about 5 years old and she greets me first out the door and will come down from roosting to get a handful of feed from me with time she figured out that I really was not the big bad monster, and that good things happen when I arrive.
Dont give up. Right now with your youngsters there is also a mass hysteria happening. One seems scarred so they all think there is something to be scared about.
Many times I thought about finding Crazy a new home , but I am glad I did not. She is a sweetheartheart.
This is Princess Crazy herself, thinking she is the only one who should get a treet.
View attachment 2669779
She's pretty, what is she?

View attachment 2669779
This story is a beautiful highlight to my evening. So happy to hear that! My hope is restored thanks to the many BYC friends :wee

Back
Top Bottom