Loss of feathers red skin

JRKHomies

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2023
SW South Dakota
Hi everyone. I am hoping someone can help me figure out what is going on with my flock. The some of the hens started having feathers broken off and red skin on either side where the wings attach. I just assumed it was from being mounted. Now some are losing feathers on either side of the vents and the skin is not broken but red and angry looking. Now the rooster is missing his fanny fluffy feathers and has an angry red butt. Another hen has her feathers missing off her neck and has an angry red spot on her chest. At first I thought the beginnings of this was mating and molting but now I am afraid I have vent gleet, candida or something else. Or some hen is pecking everyone.I started treating them with pro biotics 3 days ago. These aren't people friendly chickens so hard to catch them. Motly looking bunch right now. The are laying normally, active, and alert. I do the deep bed method with fine pine shavings. Just chsnged everything out a month ago.
20230612_202604.jpg
20230612_202538.jpg
20230612_202332.jpg
20230612_202407.jpg
20230612_202414.jpg

Do you have a rooster?
What's their diet? Have you tried treating for mites?
Yes we have a rooster. That is the grey and white bird with a red fanny.
They get sprouts layer crumble and scraps. Mostly bread and pork, chicken and beef bones to pick the meat from. And some scratch grains and whatever bugs they eat. Just added probiotics.
I have not treated for mites. They don't seem to be scratching or exhibiting behavior of having mites.

Yes we have a rooster. That is the grey and white bird with a red fanny.
They get sprouts layer crumble and scraps. Mostly bread and pork, chicken and beef bones to pick the meat from. And some scratch grains and whatever bugs they eat. Just added probiotics.
I have not treated for mites. They don't seem to be scratching or exhibiting behavior of having mites.
I'd cut out the treats and scraps, and find a higher protein feed that's not a layer, since roosters should have layer and it tends to be low protein.
I'd also treat for mites, clean out the coop, treat with a permethrine poultry product and get new bedding and litter.

Back
Top Bottom