Lost 3 chickens... need to vent

AdrieeC

Pink Roses Farm
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Pearl River
I started with mature birds in march. All was going great until summer started. Then I got 1 bird with a prolaps, 1 bird egg bound. one bird with a neck injury, one bird with and injured toe, one bird with heat stroke and the other survived an encounter with a dog, then had her led broken by my rooster. Seems like I have had at least one house chicken every week.

I just lost my chicken with the broken leg. Despite my best efforts to keep her comfortable dh thinks the stress may have been too much for her. A few days ago I lost a chicken to a broken neck from an unknown source, and today I lost one to a lightning strike in this bad storm. so far I counted 4 in the coop plus the rooster, so one is missing, may be hiding out somewhere else in the storm. But might be dead too. Arg!

So sorry
sad.png
when it rains it pours. I know how you feel!

How frustrating! I feel your pain. They are just like kids-always getting hurt somewhere somehow. Although a lightning strike would totally freak me out.....

So sorry to hear
sad.png
. I lost one of mine actualy also last night.I had one columbian bantam wyandotte roo in with my 8 Millie Fleur's.We thought the run was pretty secure but I guess not.There was a small hole in one spot where I found most of his carcass and feather's.We have had many coon's here over the year's and hubby said smelled skunk a few times up Wee morn hour's last couple week's.I have also lost 2 grown duck's and 2 young mallard's in last month or so.WE put a ton more brick around that run bottom this eve and the duck's have finaly started going to horse stall at night.It's heartbreaking losing them for sure.I double and triple check at bedtime myself now poor DH hasn't a clue what goes where.He tries not to mess with them much he does the duck's but I lost one of my silkie hens a while back cause he didnt look in coop and she was Gone next morn.Don't get discouraged though.I have been doing birds for 6 year's and have surely had some losses and probably alway's will but I just give my survivor's the best care I can and alway's excited to get new one's and have learned a lot over the years.

Thanks. The missing BO did come home last night. Dh is really good about going out there and checking them in the evening to make sure they are all there. If not he takes out a flashlight and goes looking. Only once he did not find one, and she was hanging outside the coop the next morning like nothing happened.

Back
Top Bottom