Loud hen all day. Is this normal?

If she’s your favorite I wouldn’t get rid of her - only because she has now taught the rest of the hens that the dominant hen is loud. You’re more likely now to have the next leader also be loud if she’s gone. So, you will have gotten rid of your favorite just to have the next in line be as loud as she is. Sometimes they’re just loud your neighbors will have to get used to it. Hens aren’t as ear piecing as roosters, but they are not quiet.

Mine do this too, but they usually stop after they've laid.
Try giving them some weeds, in order to occupy them.
Mine stop, when I do this.
Try giving them spring green lettuce from the store in the winter months. I live in Minnesota. My birds are six months old and have been outside since October when started getting cold. They have done well and some or all of them have been laying 1 egg daily, even sometimes 2. I use an electric heating pad from feed store with water electric heating element. The pad keeps the coup at 20*! I’ll be shutting down the pad as soon as it stays in the teens at night.

My Splash EE has been yelling all day since she finally came off the nest after trying (in vain) for 8 weeks to hatch eggs! There's some pecking order changes occurring right now in my flock of 13, so the Splash EE and my PBR are both yelling all day long while my RIR is quietly letting them fight over which one will get "her" top spot in the flock.

My hens are almost 2 - my Jersey Giant is the biggest complainer! My husband is out of work at the moment and has been doing projects out and around the barn, and has been letting them out to free range most of the day. Now, they are all spoiled rotten and if you go outside in the morning and don't let them out, my JG lets you know about it until you open the door and let them out in the yard! She carries on so loud!!

OMG that is so Orpington! No No don't give her away. She is behaving normally and she's perfectly healthy. Some of them are vocal. A bit like a Siamese cat can sometimes be very loud. She is likely the alpha chicken of your flock, (flock leader), and she also has a good chance, with a little work, of becoming a very tame and affectionate hen. All of my loudest Orps always have tamed down the best. My other girls love them to pieces and look to my "loud beaks" as if they were a pseudo rooster for the flock.
My first lady Loud-beak I made the mistake of giving away due to her noise, the other hens grieved and complained for days, when I went to the person I had give her to and asked if I could get her back she grabbed the wrong chicken out of her flock of Orps and my ladies all attacked the strange hen! When I took it back and said "wrong hen" and walked out to the flock my Buffy came running and pecked my toes and crooned to me. When I got her home the rest of the flock eagerly welcomed her back and she lived a very long and happy life as queen of the flock. Lesson learned by me, Loud beak hens are the best!
Did she ever stop being loud?? When you say tamed down, when/how did that happen? I really don't want to give her or any of them away. I love them! But when I was up at 5:45am today from her barks I was thinking otherwise lol

My rhode island reds where crazy noisy the 1st year...now they are quiet ladies and don't announce everything under the sun. I added 2 buff orpington's to my flock and oh man are they chatty!! Sounds like a dying goose at times!! They are young, under a year old...Im hoping they will simmer down as they mature, like my rhode islands. I do pop my head out and call to my ladies when they get unnecessarily noisy. Which seems to help. We check on the eggs when they get noisy too. Sometimes they stop squawking after we grab their eggs.
For your rhode island reds, did you do anything or they just naturally calmed themselves after about a year old??

My hens are almost 2 - my Jersey Giant is the biggest complainer! My husband is out of work at the moment and has been doing projects out and around the barn, and has been letting them out to free range most of the day. Now, they are all spoiled rotten and if you go outside in the morning and don't let them out, my JG lets you know about it until you open the door and let them out in the yard! She carries on so loud!!
Ugh reading this makes me realize mine are absolutely SPOILED

Mine do this too, but they usually stop after they've laid.
Try giving them some weeds, in order to occupy them.
Mine stop, when I do this.
I have recently tried giving them some snacks to see if that will occupy her but then she will just go back in the coop and start screaming again 🤣 my alarm clock lol

This is my 3rd grouping of hens over the years. I usually have 3 or 4, but this group I have 6 hens. 2 Rhode Island reds, 2 Plymouth Rocks, 1 Rhode Island blue and 1 Ameraucana. These are the noisiest hens I have ever had. They have been laying for over a year and they all use the same nest. When one of them is ready to lay their egg and someone else is on the nest, the waiting hen stands out in the yard and squawks and squawks until the hen leaves the nest! I have cleaned out/up the coop several times, creating multiple identical boxes, but they continue to pick and use just one. We live in the suburbs and they can be as noisy as rooster?! Ideas?

This is my 3rd grouping of hens over the years. I usually have 3 or 4, but this group I have 6 hens. 2 Rhode Island reds, 2 Plymouth Rocks, 1 Rhode Island blue and 1 Ameraucana. These are the noisiest hens I have ever had. They have been laying for over a year and they all use the same nest. When one of them is ready to lay their egg and someone else is on the nest, the waiting hen stands out in the yard and squawks and squawks until the hen leaves the nest! I have cleaned out/up the coop several times, creating multiple identical boxes, but they continue to pick and use just one. We live in the suburbs and they can be as noisy as rooster?! Ideas?

What happens if you remove or block the one they prefer?

Back
Top Bottom