Loving my guineas!

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
I was unsure about getting guineas at first. My only experience with one was a bird that belonged to my neighbor and literally never shut up. I would be out checking the sheep in the middle of the night and the thing would still be up yelling "buck-wheat" at 1am. I bought 30 keets from McMurray, though they only shipped 25 and we were down to 17 by the time we moved them from the brooder to the coop. We have 15 left (one flew off when my husband was feeding them one day and got taken out by a predator and one of our dogs got out and got another), and I am really liking them! They aren't friendly at all, but it is pleasure to watch their little group range around the property, hoovering up bugs and seeds as they go. We have had an awful time with ticks so far this year and I hope having guineas around will keep them under control in future years. They aren't nearly as loud as I thought, though they are still young, only hatched in mid-June. They only make loud noises when they are startled by something or one gets separated from the group. They are really fun to watch and I am thrilled we decided to go ahead and get some!

Back
Top Bottom