Lower Township, NJ: Residents forced to give up their chickens

AnnieAlbright

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Monmouth County, NJ
Lower Township tells girl to ditch her 4-H chickens

“I haven’t told my daughter yet. We’re trying to teach her about agriculture, but we’re going to have to withdraw her from 4-H because she’ll have no chickens to show,” Lyman said.
That moment arrived a few hours later — with a big, yellow school bus. Brianna, a member of the Milky Way 4-H Club, was told the news.
“When I heard I had to get rid of them, I was in shock mode,” Brianna said. “I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t want to get rid of them because I raised them as little chicks. Every day, I got home from school and held them. I didn’t want to get rid of them — ever.”

I feel so bad for this girl. I hope their movement takes off and others come forward and push to change the ordinance. Children should be encouraged to take on responsibilities like raising and caring for animals. Self-sustainability should not be discouraged.

While I fully agree that people should be able to have backyard chickens, it angers me that some would have them illegally, and then let their chickens wander onto other people's property. That doesn't help the cause much. My 3 outlaw backyard chickens are fully contained in my yard with 5 & 6 ft vinyl fencing. Within my yard they also have a large run made with 3 ft chicken wire. They aren't out in the middle of the street or flying into somone's yard. If they did it once, their wings would be clipped. I would complain too if I kept finding a neighbor's pet on my property. From the article it sounds like the chickens had gotten loose more than once. Maybe the parents can use this situation to teach their daughter about responsible pet ownership----keeping your animals confined to your own property.

I agree mrsbos. They should have been more careful. I still feel bad for the girl, and yes, this will be a life lesson for her. Hopefully this incident will open up discussion in the town as to how residents can keep chickens and their affect on their neighbors. There is so much misinformation out there that keeps these antiquated laws on the books. Any "outlaw" owner
smile.png
should be even more careful as to how their chickens are cared for and how their neighbors are impacted. Some towns in my state have changed their laws because good chicken owners were able to show they were not a nuisance to the neighborhood.

hopefully her life lesson will be about the correct way to go about changing the law and being considerate of the neighbors. If the animals had been confined properly then there would have been no complaint and she would still have the birds.

It is one thing to push for a change in the laws to allow keeping birds. But to knowingly break the law and then complain when it is enforced only makes it a harder sell.

I'm very sad for your daughter...I'm going through the same heartbreak. I know "they're just chickens"...but they are my pets, just like a dog or a cat. I have an acre of land...and I am being forced to get rid of them too.

Poor girl.
sad.png

But am I the only one who noticed that the pictures show a BR, yet it's listed as a Black Silkie?

Lower Township tells girl to ditch her 4-H chickens

“I haven’t told my daughter yet. We’re trying to teach her about agriculture, but we’re going to have to withdraw her from 4-H because she’ll have no chickens to show,” Lyman said.
That moment arrived a few hours later — with a big, yellow school bus. Brianna, a member of the Milky Way 4-H Club, was told the news.
“When I heard I had to get rid of them, I was in shock mode,” Brianna said. “I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t want to get rid of them because I raised them as little chicks. Every day, I got home from school and held them. I didn’t want to get rid of them — ever.”

I feel so bad for this girl. I hope their movement takes off and others come forward and push to change the ordinance. Children should be encouraged to take on responsibilities like raising and caring for animals. Self-sustainability should not be discouraged.

Does anyone know this family? In my research it appears that it was illegal for the Township to force her to give up her chickens. The only zoning ordinance I can find that mentions poultry is in the "right to farm" section. And this is only if you are selling products that you are required to have 5 acres. I can find nothing that states anything for backyard pet chickens.

Back
Top Bottom