Lump above crop, left-side neck?

HenLuv

Chirping
Jun 20, 2020
North TX
One of my 2-year-old Australorps has a slight lump ABOVE her crop on the left side of her neck. She seems fine/eats/etc., except that she hasn't laid an egg for 3 days now. She is the alpha, and our power egg producer. She skipped a couple weeks in winter, whereas my other two skipped a couple of months when they moulted. She lost a few feathers, but didn't moult completely, and still has brownish feathers on her body. However, I think she might be a subtle moulter, becuase I've noticed her belly feathers have thinned.

Other than a tumor or huge parasite, I have two possibilities. First, is she eating her feathers and they aren't going through her system? Second, a few days ago, I saw my three chickens fighting over a small garden snake. I don't know who ended up eating it, but could it possibly be the snake still stuck in there?

I really hate to lose her if it's something I can help her with. We have no vets locally that will tend chickens, since we are in suburbs outside a metro area. Any advice or ways to check for possible causes is much appreciated.

Pictures of the lump if you can, might help. What does it feel like? Hard, soft, etc?
Chickens eat feathers all the time and it usually does not cause a problem.
Does she have access to grit? Everything else normal? Droppings normal? Eating and drinking and acting normal?

I've tried to get a good picture, though I'm not sure how much you can really see.
  • I would categorize it as a hard lump, and about the size of a nickel... maybe? It's not on the outside, nor just under the surface of her skin, but deeper inside. Similar to feeling your rib cage, I guess.
  • Yes, they have access to sand and other grit.
  • I haven't exactly watched for droppings specifically from her, but I will try.
  • She scratches around the yard and under the shrubs with her sisters, and seems to be eating and drinking normally.
I have since had a horrible thought. We've had some really strong winds and storms lately, bringing in or scattering a lot of debris. I hope she hasn't swallowed anything like a string or plastic.

However, I think that her crop feels a bit fuller since this morning. I can't swear to it, so maybe it's just wishful thinking, but that would mean that food isn't fully blocked.

Attachments

• Prissy_lump1 - Copy.jpg
    Prissy_lump1 - Copy.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Prissy_lump2 - Copy.jpg
    Prissy_lump2 - Copy.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 11
There really shouldn't be anything up in that spot above the crop. Check her crop first thing in the morning before she has access to food or water, it should be empty then. It will fill and empty throughout the day as she eats and digests, so it's hard to judge then. If she goes to bed with food in her crop and it's gone by morning then everything is working as it should. It's hard to say what the lump might be. If it's not affecting her eating and drinking then I'd just keep an eye on it. If it gets larger then maybe a tumor.

I have watched my girl for several days, and she seems fine -- even giving us an egg here and there -- except for a brief bout of diarrhea. The "lump" is still there. Other than that, I have nothing to add.

Thanks for your insights!

Back
Top Bottom