Lump Near Eye - Advice Needed

This all started last Wednesday when I noticed her eye looked a little stretched (she had this same thing happen this past Spring, but there was never any swelling and it eventually went away) and there was some slight swelling. On Friday, it was a little more raised, which is when I decided to take her in to see a vet in case if it was something where antibiotics were needed to clear. The vet said her actual eye looked good and her suspicion was that it’s a sinus issue/infection and prescribed her antibiotics. She was prescribed Trimeth-Sulfa…twice a day for a week.

That same day I took her in, I noticed these two tiny cyst like lumps in her wattles, but didn’t even mention them to the vet because they were so small and seemed insignificant. However, they have grown in size during the past several days and are on the same side as the lump by her eye.

You all have given me some good insight/advice in the past...I would love to know your thoughts, if you don't mind. @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @azygous @rebrascora
Sorry about your hen.
I would have to agree, it's like a respiratory infection since she had something similar this spring - since she's going through molt, that can be a stressor which triggers symptoms.
I would do as suggested and get some Terramycin eye ointment to go into and around the eye. Flush the eye with saline as needed too.

A sulfa antibiotic may be helpful depending on the cause. I would finish that out. If she doesn't improve or worsen, re-visit the vet or try an antibiotic like Tylosin to see if that makes a difference.

Is she eating/drinking o.k.?

Yeah, I kind of have a feeling that it might be a tumor especially since those two lumps appeared in her wattles and have also grown in size and all of it being on the left side of her body. Plus, today is her fourth day on the antibiotics and there has been no change other than it has grown in size.

The one thing that makes me feel good about this all is that she's acting totally normal and just going about her business, so hopefully it's similar to your hen. That's all so good to know and does give me some peace of mind that a tumor doesn't necessarily mean the end. I appreciate the reply!

Sorry about your hen.
I would have to agree, it's like a respiratory infection since she had something similar this spring - since she's going through molt, that can be a stressor which triggers symptoms.
I would do as suggested and get some Terramycin eye ointment to go into and around the eye. Flush the eye with saline as needed too.

A sulfa antibiotic may be helpful depending on the cause. I would finish that out. If she doesn't improve or worsen, re-visit the vet or try an antibiotic like Tylosin to see if that makes a difference.

Is she eating/drinking o.k.?
I will definitely finish her sulfa antibiotic out and she still has through Friday to take it, so there is still time. Is it okay to do the antibiotic and terramycin at the same time? I'm assuming it is, but just want to double check. If so, I'll start her on that again.

The thing she had this Spring was interesting and really not totally noticeable, but it was to me since I see her every day. It was the same eye and there wasn't any swelling. Just the look as if something was pushing down on her eye and almost lifting her eyelid up a little. Whatever that was, it eventually went away.

She is eating and drinking just fine and does seem totally normal with no other symptoms other than these lumps. So strange!

This is Lady Di and her tumor. It began as a bean-size lump. It puts pressure on her eye at times, but she shows no sign of it causing her pain. If that were the case, she would be shaking her head and scratching the eye with her foot, which she's never done.

The right eye focuses on close objects so she isn't able to compete well for treats tossed out. But she still retains her rank as top hen and gets off some vicious pecks when another hen swoops in and grabs the treat she's trying to pick up.

The tumor is rock hard, not soft and fluid filled as you would expect a sinus infection would be, though you can see a little sinus swelling on the inner corner of the eye. This is caused by the pressure of the tumor from time to time, but always resolves in a day or so.

Tests have confirmed my flock carries the leucosis virus, so I am fairly certain this tumor is associated with the virus. As you can see, this isn't a death sentence by any means.

Lymphoid leucosis is a very common avian virus, and many flocks carry it, although not all will become symptomatic. The virus has been bred out of many commercial breeds. The most serious effect it's had in my flock is the impact it's had on trying to hatch chicks from my flock. That's where the most serious mortality and heartache has been.

P1010005.JPG

I will definitely finish her sulfa antibiotic out and she still has through Friday to take it, so there is still time. Is it okay to do the antibiotic and terramycin at the same time? I'm assuming it is, but just want to double check. If so, I'll start her on that again.

The thing she had this Spring was interesting and really not totally noticeable, but it was to me since I see her every day. It was the same eye and there wasn't any swelling. Just the look as if something was pushing down on her eye and almost lifting her eyelid up a little. Whatever that was, it eventually went away.

She is eating and drinking just fine and does seem totally normal with no other symptoms other than these lumps. So strange!
It should be fine to use the eye ointment with the sulfa antibiotic.
I hope the lump improves, please keep us posted.

This is Lady Di and her tumor. It began as a bean-size lump. It puts pressure on her eye at times, but she shows no sign of it causing her pain. If that were the case, she would be shaking her head and scratching the eye with her foot, which she's never done.

The right eye focuses on close objects so she isn't able to compete well for treats tossed out. But she still retains her rank as top hen and gets off some vicious pecks when another hen swoops in and grabs the treat she's trying to pick up.

The tumor is rock hard, not soft and fluid filled as you would expect a sinus infection would be, though you can see a little sinus swelling on the inner corner of the eye. This is caused by the pressure of the tumor from time to time, but always resolves in a day or so.

Tests have confirmed my flock carries the leucosis virus, so I am fairly certain this tumor is associated with the virus. As you can see, this isn't a death sentence by any means.

Lymphoid leucosis is a very common avian virus, and many flocks carry it, although not all will become symptomatic. The virus has been bred out of many commercial breeds. The most serious effect it's had in my flock is the impact it's had on trying to hatch chicks from my flock. That's where the most serious mortality and heartache has been.

View attachment 1957653
Aww, Lady DI is beautiful girl!! What a rockstar and I love that she still has some spiciness! The location of her tumor looks like it's in that same spot as my girl though the one on mine isn't rock hard, but it doesn't feel overly soft either. There is a little give. 11 years old is an amazing life! Gosh, I really hope I have some make it to that age. I feel like the reproductive issues are our biggest nemesis.

Did you have necropsies done to confirm your flock carries the leucosis virus?

I tend to also believe that this might be a tumor, especially if both it and the wattle bumps are growing. There is something about the growth near the eye in the 3 rd pic that doesn’t look like the typical sinus infection, although I am not an expert. Tumors are common in chickens, but the 2 that are most comcerning are the viruses that cause Mareks disease and lymphoid leukosis, the disease that @azygous mentioned. Sometimes lumps can turn out to be abscesses filled with cheese-like solid pus when they are lanced. Let us know how she gets along. If someday you lose her, a necropsy performed by your state vet can be performed to test for tumors and disease. Here is a list of most state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

upload_2019-11-12_13-45-10.jpeg

I tend to also believe that this might be a tumor, especially if both it and the wattle bumps are growing. There is something about the growth near the eye in the 3 rd pic that doesn’t look like the typical sinus infection, although I am not an expert. Tumors are common in chickens, but the 2 that are most comcerning are the viruses that cause Mareks disease and lymphoid leukosis, the disease that @azygous mentioned. Sometimes lumps can turn out to be abscesses filled with cheese-like solid pus when they are lanced. Let us know how she gets along. If someday you lose her, a necropsy performed by your state vet can be performed to test for tumors and disease. Here is a list of most state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

View attachment 1957727
Yeah, I was really hoping it was just the typical sinus infection, but when those bumps on her wattles started growing, I felt like this was something else and of course all the scary things come to mind like you mentioned. All our girls were vaccinated for Mareks, however I know that doesn't mean they can't get it.

Today is her fourth day on the antibiotic with no change, so I guess I'll just continue with her meds for the week and also try the terramycin again and keep my fingers crossed that something starts to work!

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom