Mad and frustrated at a stupid ad on TV! (RANT!!!)

I kind of felt the need to remind everyone my original rant is about a commercial where a mother admits her child is a picky eater and lets it go so far as to affect her growth, and then the pharmacist/doctor tells her to purchase Pediasure to make sure she gets what she needs. The child doesn't have allergies or texture problems, the mom flat out says "Picky Eater".
So let's not turn this into my way is better than your way and start a fight ok? I had to remind myself of that just a minute ago. We will always have those who feel that if they pound at us hard enough we will miraculously see things their way and that ain't gonna happen lol! So remember, this is about a commercial I felt was stupid and the mom should just "parent up" and make her child eat healthy food not spend a fortune on Pediasure.

Quote:
Now see you make a huge deal out of it.

Don't want to eat supper? Fine with me. Go take a shower and get ready for bed.

End of subject.

Don't want to eat breakfast? Fine with me. Get dressed for school/work.

My mom allowed us to have an apple for a snack if we were hungry between mealtimes. No cokes, no candy, no chips, no junk food. If we were feeling rich that week, sometimes we could have a slice of cheddar cheese with our apple.
I'm 23 and I still like cheddar cheese and apples for snacks!

Quote:
OT - I used to get the same things from the residents of the group home for developmentally disabled adults where I worked as a house manager.
One night I was making cornbread and one of the residents asked me what I was making. When I told her, she said we don't like cornbread. Well, all the residents knew that I am from North Carolina. I said, well we make cornbread soooo different in NC that we call it johnny cake; so maybe you can try it and see if you like it.
To this day, even though I haven't worked there in over a year, the residents still won't eat "cornbread" but say they want someone to make them johnny cake.
lol.png

Quote:
Now see you make a huge deal out of it.

Don't want to eat supper? Fine with me. Go take a shower and get ready for bed.

End of subject.

Don't want to eat breakfast? Fine with me. Get dressed for school/work.

My mom allowed us to have an apple for a snack if we were hungry between mealtimes. No cokes, no candy, no chips, no junk food. If we were feeling rich that week, sometimes we could have a slice of cheddar cheese with our apple.
I'm 23 and I still like cheddar cheese and apples for snacks!

I agree with you. I think that is a fine way of doing things. Its just that this is how I do things. Later that evening when he said he was hungry, I told him he could have something, but it was going to be what I cooked. All he wanted was waffles. I did give him a choice between two things that night & said that if he would just have a few bites then he could have a waffle. Didnt work. If I had, had a healthy snack that he liked, I would have given it to him. I didnt want it to go so far that he would get sick. All I have here is healthy food (for the most part). I dont keep many snacks in my house. I had carrots (which he also refused to eat) and sao he went hungry. I guess I should have mentioned this too.

I've said I've had a somewhat picky eater, but he is mild. It so annoys me when we have sleepovers and the kids won't eat. We had one mom drop her kid off for a sleepover with a huge sonic Dr. Pepper. By midnight everyone in the house wanted to strangle the child. All the other kids had started a litany of "shut up, Kevin"s, and started throwing pillows at him.

For birthday sleepovers, I usually have the kids make their own pizzas. It's fun for the kids and they get to pick what to put on the pizza. I have a selection of veggies and meat, and a couple of types of cheese and sauce. Some kids get really into, roll out the pizza just so, and load it with every topping. At least two kids at the last sleepover would not eat pizza they had made. It didn't taste like the takeout pizza they were used to. The same children wouldn't eat french toast for breakfast. And at least one of these said "I only drink chocolate milk". ARGHHH!

About that commercial....the kid is going through the veggie section with mom saying "I don't eat that" and the mom agrees and then puts pediasure in the cart. That lovely TV mom needs to say, you eat that, that's broccoli and it's like eating little trees. You can even put it in dip and then it is a tree with snow. Or whatever!!!!!

I was thinking about this on the way to the grocery store tonight. I was thinking about what we were having for supper (ham and bean soup in the crockpot) and realized it didn't sound good...because I really wasn't hungry!

It occurred to me how many of us hardly give ourselves the chance to get really hungry...especially kids! If kids don't run around playing (who feels like it's safe for kids to run around and play outside and work up an appetite any more?) how can they work up an appetite?

And if they're not physically active and they sit around snacking...how are they ever gonna BE hungry for good food?

Hunger is the best sauce, right?

I just saw a commercial about food and kids that I actually agree with. Stauffers has a commecial about the importance of familes eating together. That a kid talks best with their mouth full. The more I thought about it the more I thought about how dinner time with my sons was as much about sharing each others day and it was about what was on the table.

Last edited:
Quote:
OMG I was just watching that commercial the other day & had the exact same thoughts!!! I was in a bad mood after that I was so mad! I see people that come into my work all the time with their kids & the kids will whine and complain for a candy bar & the parents will give it to them "if theyre good" & the heck of it is they get it no matter what. they cant even BRIBE their kids! Im sorry but people like that are reason that I think you should have to have a license in this country to be aloud to have kids. If those were my kids they would have got a beating on the butt & wouldnt have ate ANYTHING at all that night & would have spent the rest of the day either shopping with me (cuz we all know thats a punishment in itself) and/or in their room & probably would have been grounded too. Absolutely ridiculous! Kids should not be aloud to make their own decisions. I have to stop now Im getting furious just talking about it.

I am a kid and i make my own decisions.......... but then again i'm not a picky eater, and i have acid relfex disease so i can't eat a lot of stuff with sugar in it cuz it makes me sick..... and so does tomato soup as i said earlier...plus i have a texture issue some stuff will just make me gag, but i do love my vegies, the only vegie i won't eat is canned beans (i'll eat the ones from the garden!) they're so sliming and gross
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
a lot of times when i don't eat all my food is when i'm not hungry. when you're not hungry nothing looks good, Smells good, tastes good. etc etc.....

Back
Top Bottom