Mad at TSC

Yup, state law most places. We do have a local large 'green house/farmers market' run by one family, they sell fowl, chicks. I've bought just a couple ducklings or chicks a few times there, just tell them had only one hatch and it's lonely, so they've done it.
I seriously doubt that it is a state law in most places. From everything that I have seen, this is a store specific rule to make sure they can increase their chick sales.

Not sure if that 'min 6 chicks thing' is a state of federal law.
But at TSC here the minimum is now 4 as of this spring(not a good thing IMO).
Other places don't seem to abide by the minimums.
I can guarantee you that it is not a Federal law. To the best of my knowledge it is not a state law in the majority of states.

I know that down here in Texas the minimum here at TSC is 6 chicks, 2 ducks. Lots of hatcheries and feed stores have those rules.
Yeah, but I went in the other day and they have two little pitiful cheeps left sitting there. They need to be able to count (and divide by 6) if that's the rule. Just saying.

From everything that I have seen, this is a store specific rule to make sure they can increase their chick sales.
I asked a long time staff member about the change and she said they did that to sell more or rather "move them outta here"....to the folks who don't want 6. <shrugs>

I can guarantee you that it is not a Federal law. To the best of my knowledge it is not a state law in the majority of states.
:goodpost:

I have never interpreted it as a law but as a policy and a practical rule of thumb.
  • For one thing, They are extremely social animals. They need companionship.
  • Another reason would be survival rate. Health, unforeseen neurological defects, living conditions, knowledge of successfully caring for infant chicks, nutrition.. so much can go wrong and bringing home 6 would increase the chances that the little dudes has a partner if a couple go stiff.
  • Moving out live inventory as fast as possible. They sell chicks at a substantial loss. But make their money back by selling feeders/water dispensers/lamps/supplements/feed/fencing.. on and on. As time goes by, the chicks are costing them more by employee hours of added duties. We sell our chicks for twice the price of Rural King and people don't understand that they are selling below cost to invest in the store's future sales bottom line.
Our TSC sells them with a min of 6. Our Rural King sell a min of 3 for chickens and no min on ducklings.
Our other feed stores have a vast range of mins.
We are selling a bunch of offspring right now. WE also sell a min of 6.
To push inventory as the main reason. I know of no Law in Florida of min of chicks that can be sold at the time of me stroking these keys for this reply. But I will be Googling this subject here shortly.
AWESOME V1.jpg

I can guarantee you that is a store rule and not a state rule here in Wyoming. There is no state rule regarding the number of chicks a person can or has to buy at a time.

Let me clarify my response...the OP was mad at TSC because of the limit and that is the same limit at the TSC closest to me.

Sorry for any confusion.

My Rural King here in Indiana has the 6 chicks or 2 ducks 'rule'. But I've never been forced to buy 6 chicks or 2 ducks ever. Picked up 3 SLW a couple months ago, went back a week later and got a Khaki and 2 bantams, then went back the following week and got another Khaki without issue.

However, they all do know me, and know I've had birds for several years so that could be why.

When I did purchase from TSC I didn't have room for 6 only for 4 so I did something a little bit terrible. I waited until they boxed them up and left, pulled out 2 put them back in the tub and checked out with the 4 I had accommodations for. I reverse shoplifted chicks. I'm not proud of it, but it was better than them being cramped up. Don't worry, the two I put back were scooped up before I even left the store. :)

At southern states, the minimum is eight the first time, and six after that every time. You can catch someone buying chicks and ask them if they would mind buying a couple extra and you paying them for the ones you originally wanted.

Back
Top Bottom