Mad neighbor

Quote:
You definitely don't want children to get in alone with big animals - even if they didn't attack on purpose they might step on them by accident. Equines can't see where their heads aren't pointed, and unfamiliar motions out of the corners of their eyes can spook them.

I've seen my SIL's mule going after a dog that got in the pasture - it was like a cartoon! Dan went almost down on his belly and ran fast, lifting his front hooves high and pounding them down. It's not something you would believe unless you'd seen it!

And Dan saved my husband once, when a pack of dogs came into the pasture and threatened him. He didn't have a gun, but Dan moved them all along! I've heard he also killed a goat - on a trail ride - while SIL was in the saddle...

Our two mules were fairly tolerant of our dog, Gus. He was a pit bull mix and fast on his feet - when the mules started wrestling, he would jump in and hang by their tails. He did get kicked once, and after that he waited until they were rolling, and he'd grab their tails, and then run away by the time they could get up.

Anyway, mules are great for defense, too, especially if you want something you can ride. They're bigger than donkeys and smarter and healthier than horses, and handsomer than either!

Last edited:
Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Yay Donkey! I have a 15 yo Arabian mare that has killed a possum, several squirrels and other critters that go into her stall. Ya never know what you will find when you take her breakfast. LOL

As good as these stories make you feel, it's still not enough to make me a democrat.
big_smile.png
But you gotta love the tales of protection by these animales. Now I know why our vets donkey's went at my dog like they did. I didn't know the animosity they held for dogs. Now I do.

I wish I had a way to get all my animals together. The way I'm situated the donkey's or mules would be in two different places. Shucks.

Awesome donkeys! I have a mule that goes after my new neighbors dog. If she gets it, she will kill it for sure. It has already came after most of my family, got some of my guineas, tried for the goats (the gunshot scared it somewhat). And the neighbor had the nerve to call the cops on me! Cop told him to get an electric pet fence NOW. not tomorrow, not next week. Great cop! Dog has not been over since, but I'm sure it will be when the power goes out...I would love to fence my whole property and let the mule have the run of the place! She tolerates my dog and other animals....loves the goats. Let a strange animal come in the pasture, its all done. Love the longears! Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom