Maggots

Once an old time farmer told me, chicken farmers used to pick up road kill and have their chickens eat the maggots off the road kill. He's also told me other things I've thought were whoppers.

I saw somewhere on here, how to make a maggot farm so I guess I would say the chickens would love them!!!

Ick!
smile.png

The chickens will eat them and they love them! I didn't do a maggot farm, but it isn't hard to get them - I put out a bowl of left over tuna. It sat in the sun for a day or two and viola maggots! The chickens LOVED the maggots (I didn't give them the tuna I was afraid it was too bad by that point, but I am not sure it would have made them ill.)

Happy chickens
yippiechickie.gif

grossed out momma!
sickbyc.gif

That's disgusting. I can get past eating the eggs when they eat bugs, lizards, and even got past them swallowing some baby rats. But I can't get past the visual of them eating maggots and then me eating the eggs. Makes my stomach turn.

They ARE hungry lil monster chickens:lol: If only some children would eat so eagerly...
lol.png
I'm doing a maggot bucket thingy...we don't have worms this far north, like earth worms so maggots it is, I just won't tell my (adult) kids!

Hmmm. Maggot bucket sounds like a sound idea, but I am going to have to talk with myself quite a while before I try it, I think.
lol.png

Any idea what % of protein maggots are? Like my egg pellets are 16%, ???

Back
Top Bottom