Maine Coons

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jennh, Sep 3, 2011.

1. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Songster

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    We love that breed. We had on that lived to be 18 year old. We miss her.

2. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Songster

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I'm not sure if mine have a little Maine Coon blood or not or possibly Turkish Angora as they all love water. They could just be mixes of neither too LOL. Their mom was a Russian Blue, and here is Reggie the dad--[​IMG]

Ludger
    [​IMG]

Peaches (also in my avatar)

[​IMG]

Giorgio
    [​IMG]

Love everyone's photos. Jennh--yours look so lovely now!!

3. Tylt33

Tylt33 Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    PLEASE have your cats heart checked if you have a Maine Coon.. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) Is rampant (30%+ have it) in Maine Coons. Having spent $12k to keep my baby boy alive for a few months longer and all the heartbreak associated... Please have the test done.

4. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Your cats are beautiful!! [​IMG] We have a Maine Coon (mix I am sure) that someone "donated" to our yard.... Her name is Diamond and we have had her for about 6 years now.... Her only issue and why we think she was dumped is because she will not use a litter box. She loves to be outside and on the porch so that's where she stays [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Songster

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yes, I think yours are part main coon. here is my 8 year old Phoebe girl.

[​IMG]

Here's another photo of her.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  6. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Songster

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I have an 8yr old MC mix. Her name is Kitty Kat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. jennh

jennh Songster

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    PitterPaws and Kaitie09, did your cats always have the mane, or did they develop as they got older? Your cats are beautiful as well.----They all are [​IMG] I love chickens ALMOST as much as I love cats [​IMG]

8. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Crowing

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I have a Maine Coon- Tootsie-she is my lovable favorite but dont tell my others I said that!
    She is seven years old, I bought her from a breeder when she was a kitten- and she has been a sweetheart ever since!
    She has the mane, as well- but its summer so she doesnt really have one right now. it will come in thick and big during the winter months. She is also polydactyl - she has seven toes on each foot. [​IMG]

She also has hcm- hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Doctor gave her six months to two years to live...two years ago. She hasnt shown any symptoms yet, so every day is a 'knock on wood' kind of day.

9. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Songster

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Thank you! I adopted mine from the humane society when she was 10 months old, her mane was sparse then, but it did however, fillout immensely when she was around 5 years old. She has all the characteristics of a main, the tufts between the toes, the main coon Face, big bushy tail.

10. jennh

jennh Songster

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: