Maine

Quote:
i believe you can get it at rzr hardware in waldoboro.

Yes, but I'm looking for it CHEAP. They sell a 2 or 2.5 lb bag for $4. I've heard of other places that sell a 50 lb bag for $10 so if there is local place I'd rather pay that.

I was at Longhorns in Buxton last weekend to buy some layer pellets and was surprised to pay just $8.99 per 50# bag (Poulin Grain). They said there was a sale that would be in effect until the end of July. I didn't ask if it was just layer pellets or other feeds too, nor do I know if it is just Longhorns or is something Poulin Grain is doing. But, I thought I'd send out a heads up, $8.99 is as little as I recall ever paying for layer feed.

Tim

Quote:
I have about 25 ameraucana chicks (14 or so from paul smith), mostly black a few splash and a blue or two......also have some younger turkens (including 2 frizzled which I am not sure of gender and 3 sexed pullets from Ideal). I also have some cuckoo d'anvers.....
bought and hatched waay too many and need them to go. there are quite a few pullets but I will not separate them out, they ALL need to go.......all for $20 (I paid $160 for 20 of the Smith ameraucana chicks so this is a STEAL).

eta- I am in windham

Last edited:
Quote:
i have some 4 week old bantam salmon faverolles pullets. i have 6 of them that will need homes. sweet birds that will lay up to a medium sized egg! i go to a flea market on Saturdays over in York and could bring them with me if they are interested. PM me if interested.

Good News...I was able to find some local ladies. I will be getting 4 Barred Rocks and 4 Araucanas on Friday night. I will post pics when I get a chance after the weekend!

YAY!!!!!!!
wee.gif

Last edited:
Hello all I'm relatively new here
smile.png
We got some chicks from someone outside of Bangor and have just realized we most likely have 5 roosters and 2 hens so I'm on the hunt for a few more hens and a home for a little mixed bantam rooster (we are keeping one rooster, giving away the bantam and the others will liked be freezer birds unless someone wants one). Our daughter plans to show them eventually in 4-H but she is too young now so for now we are just going with a mixed flock. We are in Somerset county so do I have time to get some more chicks and get them raised before the cold? Or should I look around on here, in Uncle Henry's or Craigslist to find some older pullets to add to the mix.

Oh and if you could help settle a bit of a debate with my husband. I say we need to insulate the coop he says they should be okay this winter without insulation.

And are there any local chicken groups we can join? My life long dream has been to have chickens and I am so excited to have them now I want to make sure we are doing things right for them and when it comes time to show I would love for my daughter to have some knowledgeable folks around to help her/us.

Last edited:
Quote:
I found mine in Uncle Henry's. I have seen a small selection on Craig's List but didn't contact anyone there...seems to be mostly free roosters! I don't know whether it is necessary to insulate the coop but we will be doing that before the cold weather sets in. Just stiff foam (not actual pink insulation) with a heat lamp at the top for those really cold nights! We are a little warmer here on the Coast as opposed to inland communities during the winter. I haven't had much luck finding local chicks but the ones I am getting on Friday night are 10-11 weeks old. They are in Dresden. She has Barred Rocks, Araucanas and Buff Orpingtons for sale.

Hope this helps a little!

Quote:
I found mine in Uncle Henry's. I have seen a small selection on Craig's List but didn't contact anyone there...seems to be mostly free roosters! I don't know whether it is necessary to insulate the coop but we will be doing that before the cold weather sets in. Just stiff foam (not actual pink insulation) with a heat lamp at the top for those really cold nights! We are a little warmer here on the Coast as opposed to inland communities during the winter. I haven't had much luck finding local chicks but the ones I am getting on Friday night are 10-11 weeks old. They are in Dresden. She has Barred Rocks, Araucanas and Buff Orpingtons for sale.

Hope this helps a little!

just and fyi....the "araucana" are probably ee's, the hatcheries call them that and it just gets passed along.....nothing wrong with ee's
big_smile.png
congrats on your find!

Back
Top Bottom