Maine

That's great for your mustang, Widget! I don't really know anything about horses, and in fact, they kind of make me nervous. I'm afraid I may rate as a 6 or 7 on that scale.
lol.png

Well being a Mustang who was caught out on the Nevada range she came with all the survival instincts that the domesticated breeds have pretty much lost over the generations. So training one is a bit different than say training a Quarter Horse. What might take the QH one session to learn and/or accept could take a Mustang 10 sessions or more. They just are so geared towards self preservation it can take them a bit to learn that humans aren't predators. And some never learn since the humans in their lives act too much like predators, usually without meaning to, that the horse never becomes really comfortable and willing to learn. One thing Mustangs teach us is patience. Training is on their time not ours. But if done right they are a horse that becomes a true partner. One who would move earth and sky for their owner.

Aw Kinsey!  That stinks!!!  Your Dorkings too??  I was just wondering about you the other day.  I understand wanting to give up.  SO has made several comments as not so gentle hints that he would like me to give up.  Not after everything I went through and all the lives sacrificed in the hopes of a clean flock.  Not yet.  What are the symptoms and ages of your birds?

I have had a hatch recently of my new Ams and one has presented new issues I haven't really deal with.  Hoping rest and a little sugar water are all it needs to pick up but I am not holding my breath.  The rest are such chunkers!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Ash, all of my chicks seem to suddenly be dropping. (They're almost 4 months old.) All of my dorkings are gone and the adult dorkings flew out of the run and a fox got them. I was really looking forward to working with them. I am down to 3 Dominiques and they'll probably be boys. I'm just so discouraged. I hope to fix whatever the problem is soon. On a good note, my Muscovy drake is sitting on an egg, and yes I am sure its the drake. Ash, "Houdini" hasn't gotten out of the coop or run yet. She is such a sweet girl.

Some kind of sickness is sweeping through my flock and killing them, and I don't know what it is. They are fine one day and sick and dead the next. With all of the problems that I have had this year, I think I may just be done with keeping chickens!
Hi Kinsey, I have lost one and have had some issues. I am thinking if they are out in a run or in the rain has something to do with whats going on with mine. mine are in and out. I am thinking on the terms of mold and fungi at this point due to the rain and high humidity. One of mine that developed sour crop is doing much better , crop is looking much better have been giving him clotrimazole 1.5 ccs down the throat twice a day . Then I had another pooping a nasty green color put that one on some of the clotrimazole and seems to have cleared it up so far
fl.gif
and another pullet down so put her on vitamins and clotrimzole and she is now up on her feet so far , waiting to see if this works . cocci is another worry that I have also. I am putting all new sand in my runs and treating the runs with Hydrogen peroxide witch kills fungi and bacteria in soil. I will be getting the powder form of hydrogen peroxide which is called hydrogen dioxide .

Hi Kinsey, I have lost one and have had some issues. I am thinking if they are out in a run or in the rain has something to do with whats going on with mine. mine are in and out. I am thinking on the terms of mold and fungi at this point due to the rain and high humidity. One of mine that developed sour crop is doing much better , crop is looking much better have been giving him clotrimazole 1.5 ccs down the throat twice a day . Then I had another pooping a nasty green color put that one on some of the clotrimazole and seems to have cleared it up so far
fl.gif
and another pullet down so put her on vitamins and clotrimzole and she is now up on her feet so far , waiting to see if this works . cocci is another worry that I have also. I am putting all new sand in my runs and treating the runs with Hydrogen peroxide witch kills fungi and bacteria in soil. I will be getting the powder form of hydrogen peroxide which is called hydrogen dioxide .
Thank you so much for the advice. I guess I'll be busy sanitizing the coop and putting new sand in the run.

Hello All!
Havent been on here in forever and miss the chicken chatter. How is everyone? What have I missed? I just posted on the thread for the lewiston swap, but just in case anyone here is interested, I have 2 roos slated for the stew pot this weekend. One is a really handsome marans roo with great temperment and the other is a super sweet breda/cochin cross. Both are great guys- good around kids, take care of the hens, people friendly, etc. I just have too many roos and the hens are paying the price. If anyone wants either of them ket me know and I can meet you st the lewiston swap tomorrow.

I think I have finally got my BSL trained to lay in the nest box instead of in a corner under a perch. 2 days ago, I threw a bunch of garlic scapes in her nest spot. The next morning, she laid her egg in a little hollow right beside them. However, last night she laid her second egg of the day (an other "rubber" egg) in the nest box, followed by a normal egg this morning. So, I'm hoping that 2 successful encounters with the nest box will lead to more!

Hello All!
Havent been on here in forever and miss the chicken chatter. How is everyone? What have I missed?
I was thinking of you this week! Welcome back! Missed ya! Pm me your real life contact??? Still waiting on pics of the Breda crosses. I loved the splash Breda!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Ash, all of my chicks seem to suddenly be dropping. (They're almost 4 months old.) All of my dorkings are gone and the adult dorkings flew out of the run and a fox got them. I was really looking forward to working with them. I am down to 3 Dominiques and they'll probably be boys. I'm just so discouraged. I hope to fix whatever the problem is soon. On a good note, my Muscovy drake is sitting on an egg, and yes I am sure its the drake. Ash, "Houdini" hasn't gotten out of the coop or run yet. She is such a sweet girl.

PaulaJon had some great advice. I say "ditto" :) If you really are down to just a few, and I know I will seem a monster for saying this, but you might cull the remaining few and wait two to three weeks before starting again. I can't believe Houdini would stay in anything other than her own feathers-- and even those she gets out of at least once a year!! Working with Dorkings is a worthwhile adventure and your enthusiasm was not misdirected. It would be so fantastic to see even a few at a show so that kids and other folks might get exposed. You will learn something out of this and gain focus. I know it.

yes, the bangor swap is saturday 9-2.
I'm going and bringing silkies, a lavender wyandotte cockerel, call ducks, neck coolers and chicken waterering nipples. I am then heading to the waterville swap for the afternoon with whatever I have left.

Does anyone know if there is a poultry/animal swap in Bangor on Saturday? If so, is it from 10-2?

Back
Top Bottom